2023 Open Goals - Met or Nah?

@thespeedboy My only goal was to RX all workouts this year. It's my second year doing the open after doing CrossFit for 18 months. Waiting to see the damage of 23.3. I still don't have consistent doubles yet so expecting a rough one. I hoped to place higher but the workouts have not been to my strengths so far.

@thespeedboy My goal was to actually do it. Haven't since 2018. So far so good I guess. Still not in the shape I once was but did PR my thruster so I guess that's something.

@ramona66 My weak ass pacing and engine killed my 23.2a score. I did terrible. I should have redone it but didn't. The only reason I'm not more upset about it is because of how well my 23.2b score ended up.

@peper888888 You might get lucky. I feel like the shuttle runs would be the big cardio thing in this year’s Open, replacing the dubs. Be on the lookout for going upside down, though.

@thespeedboy If I redid all of last year's workouts this year, I'd undoubtedly do better

If I were doing this years workouts so far a year ago, I'd undoubtedly have done worse

I'm fitter and stronger than I was a year ago

And yet, I'm 5% lower through 2 weeks. Pretty frustrating. Hoping to clobber 23.3

@richie102 Ya, I think I would crush last years workouts this year. Burpees and running weren't great for me. My engine isn't TERRIBLE but it's not easy moving a 6'4" 240 lb frame through all of that forever. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I was happy that at least one thing was strength related, though, since last year had none.

@thespeedboy Unfortunately, I got sick last week and my 23.2 was not good at all.

But I'm never really good at the Open workouts. To me it's heavily weighted towards those with good engines and gymnastics skills. Those aren't my strengths, so I am never going to be even top half in the Open.

@jcc19240 Your point about engines and gymnastics skills applies to me too. My engine is definitely much better than last year but I struggle in 15 minute workouts where I'm trying to get the best score I can.

@jcc19240 We had a guy attempt a 335 thruster that was pretty intense to watch.

I’m happy it was a thruster though. Brings a little bit of skill into it even though it’s a strength movement. And also because it’s my best score of the year so far lol.

@thespeedboy As a coach for a few years and doing this for 7 now, I'm doing exactly how I thought I would.

I'm more of a strength guy these days, I don't like pushing myself as hard as I did in 2018 and 2019.

Back