2024 semifinals - Oceania, and North America West - Day 3

@dkfromthelight This has been happening at most of the semi-finals. Some athletes at the top after the first two days dropping and athletes at the bottom jumping up the board. That will happnen when you have one workout on day 1, two on day 3 and three on the last day.

@jayce9936 A lot of people go out of town this weekend. Idk if people are willing to travel to expensive California during MDW to watch CrossFit.

I bet if it were a different weekend, the crowd would be much larger.

@dalet It’s also a one of the biggest holiday weekends for travel in the US. Flights and hotels prices are 2-3x their normal rate. So when you have it in a place that’s already expensive like California, you got to expect a weak turnout.

@jayce9936 Regionals was always during Memorial Day. This is a venue selection issue and a lack of production value, including vendors and/or a community event, from Loud and Live, the company putting on West Coast Classic.

@dalet Regionals used to fill the stands because the event was localized to the desired population. We saw Super Regionals attendance drop and then no Regionals basically crushed the desire for people to come cheer on their respective athletes in person, until they made it to the Games.

NAW, and NAE for that matter, could draw athletes from a thousand miles from the venue location; it's hard enough for them to decide to make that trip, let alone their fans.

When the event coincides with a community competition, like Sanctionals did, the attendance was justified because others from the gym could compete and spectate, while supporters could come to enjoy more events.

WCC has never been an event other than as a qualifier for the Games, therefore has no other draw. They would have been better off having it in Vegas again, which would have been cheaper and more easily accessible; or a venue where they could have had a community event in tandem like they have done with WZA or Granite Games, which is exactly what Syndicate Crown is doing.

@dalet I’m from Australia too and that’s what I am also comparing it too. First time since it’s been at Pat Rafter Arena I have not been, shift work and someone else way dammit

Back