23.1 women’s barbells misloaded

@akingbade “Never going to be legitimized”

How much more legit is it supposed to get? It’s its own sport and has a a massive global following with athletes endorsed for mega cash, clothing brands selling branded lines.

@martinluthra14 You are right in that it is legit in its own community to the point that it can practically get away with anything (I do wonder how long that will last though).

And you are wrong in that CF is not officially recognized by any part of the actual regulated sport world. Of course CF, LLC doesn't care about that.

@grace4nan Oh ok, I think I see what you meant by legitimized. It’s a commercial product assembled out of other athletics sports, and so I don’t think it’s likely that e.g. IOC makes it a sport. If they turned it into a nonprofit organization or merged it into a global athletics governing scheme and assigned the trademarks away I think some things could change.

Outside of the CrossFit community it’s still seen as a serious and competitive athletic endeavor though, so from a legitimize = respected standpoint, I think it’s well established.

But yeah I wouldn’t at first glance expect these athletics unions to lift up a private for-profit sports company

@grace4nan But that’s Functional Fitness, not CrossFit ;-)

Also though, thanks for the link because I tried looking and couldn’t find anything.

If this exists… is that not the legitimization you were talking about? Or are you meaning that CrossFit won’t be legitimate until it’s like literally in the Olympics or something?

And a final thought, I feel like there needs to be another name than Functional Fitness. Just as a branding exercise it sounds like a gym chain and asserts this idea that its practitioners are the “functional” ones, as if the other sports it assembles itself out of aren’t functional or something. It’s in a way a repackaging of Athletics + Weightlifting, and I wonder if that’s not something holding it back as well.

@budalazena Is it really that serious? I’m sure the athletes were going to do it again anyway. I mean yes it’s sloppy and unfortunate but people are like shitting their pants over this lol and I don’t get it.

@12345susie They expect top quality from all of their top athletes in their videos, to make no mistakes or be punished, yet they pull this at their own open announcement lol it’s pretty bad honestly

@emsw You are wrong. CrossFit HQ is perfect with well-thought out rules and procedures that are always published in time so it's only fair that they can punish somebody when they can't make sure that they successfully followed one rule.

@12345susie They both said they wouldn’t do it again. For that level the scores don’t really matter that much. It’s just a step on the way to the games and they often complain it gets in the way of their training. I’m sure they didn’t expect to have to do it twice.

@12345susie It's not a big deal but given their policy regarding athlete submissions is "one tiny mistake and your seasons over, no exceptions" You can hardly blame people for riding them when they fail to meet that high standard.

Back