8-5 Desk Life

marlow7

Sitting at my desk all day is getting the best of me. I'd like to receive some information, ideas, or exercises I can do for 5-10 minutes at my desk to stay mobile and flexible. Seems that my posture and mobility is starting to decline quickly!

@kelman I have a hokki stool which is supposedly better than sitting in a normal chair. Simply getting up and moving around from time to time is a must though. Fuck sedentary life...

@curtis697 Yeah. I used to be a barista for almost 10 years from highschool to college and a little bit after. so i was used to standing everyday all day for 8 hours at work. Then when i moved to an office job, i instantly felt my mobility depreciating everyday.

@kelman Can anyone recommend a stool/tall chair/whatever that could work with a standing desk when you just need to sit? My girlfriend has a hip issue which her standing desk is helping but sometimes needs to sit for a bit, so something like that would be really helpful.

@marlow7
No idea how to link to just the picture. That was my solution. Two $30 tv stands from ikea. Cut the legs on the one to make the keyboard stand. Been standing since end of February, started crossfit in January. When I work from home now, where I do not have a standing desk, it's awful. I get so tired. Definitely look into a standing desk but realize like sitting you have to take breaks every so often and sit down.

@marlow7 Almost everyone in my office has either an UpDesk (whole desk) or a Varidesk (goes on top of your existing desk) if you are looking for examples to try to get approved.

@marlow7 If it's approval for them to buy it that you're concerned with, you can make one yourself. I made mine in about 30 minutes for 35 dollars. Get a piece of plywood in the desk dimension you want, 4 1x2 or 1x3 segments (2 width 2 length) and 4 1x1 or 2x2 pieces for legs a the height you want plus some wood screws. Toss in a can of spray finish and boom, a sturdy standing desk. Mine sits on top of my desk and covers the entire dimension of my desk so when I want to use it I put all of the stuff on my desk on top of it.

If it's approval just to be allowed to have it, scratch all of that. In that case, when you can work on something on paper instead of your computer, do it and stand up if you can.