8-5 Desk Life

@marlow7 you could also just buy a laptop stand then prop it on a box or shelf. get creative. i used to use empty delivery boxes (think amazon boxes) just stacked on one another. the upside is you can hide them away if you have to. it doesnt have to be pretty. it just has to work.

@marlow7 I've been using a standing desk for 6 years, at 3 different jobs, and have never had an actual standing desk. I've always made my own by stacking different office equipment, sometimes using cardboard boxes and books. Just make sure your boss doesn't mind. If you're in a cubicle you can actually take the desk off and raise it up without much difficulty (again, if your boss doesn't mind).

@bfoj1950 Nice! Yah we actually had a friend custom build some in our office. They're essentially just shelves. Paired with tall stools for when we need to sit.

@marlow7 Half of it's just getting up and moving around periodically. I get up at least once an hour to wander around and get water, use the bathroom, go talk to a coworker rather than sending an email. Take a walk at lunchtime, if you can. I also squeeze in squat, lunges, and wall or countertop pushups when I can, in conference rooms or in the kitchen while heating up my lunch.

@marlow7 Air squats, air squats, air squats. As .@kelman mentioned a standing desk if you can, but I'm guessing that's probably not possible.

Other things to combat posture issues would be one of those balls you sit on. I know they look stupid but they do make you sit up straight.

And holding plank/crocodile positions for a minute or so every 15-30 min.

@marlow7 You'd be surprised what your HR will support especially if you have your insurance through your company. They usually bend over backwards to support healthy lifestyle habits which earn discounted premiums.

@marlow7 I have. Of course not as much as I've seen from stretching every single day but my lower back pain went away during long runs. I noticed my endurance in high volume squat or thrusters went up as well.

@oliva I love this idea but I truly don't want to put my hands (or sit) anywhere near this floor. Maybe do pushups against a counter or a sink or something would be a more hygienic variation.