A bodybuilder's experience going from weights only to calisthenics-based training

@webslave Did you train only pull ups and dips or did you also include push ups, L sit and those kinds? Or did you only strenght train pull ups and just did no skills at all? Im really wondering how you are doing now in you9r calisthenics performance

@flyinflame14yyt I’m not OP, but body by rings is worth checking out. It’s a push pull program with the main goal of hypertrophy. I bought it and run it every spring/ summer. I basically taught myself how to make an upper body day program with it. You’ll need something else for legs, though, as there isn’t any leg exercises. There are also a ton of free programs on Reddit.

If you decided to go with body by rings, it’s 100 bucks, but it was worth it, in my opinion, but like I said there are plenty of free programs on this Reddit.

@bubbles0023 BBR is a great bodybuilding style program, and there are some good reviews of it on the sub. Fitness FAQs/Daniel Vandal has a great and useful YouTube channel as well.

@webslave Thanks for sharing this, it is very encouraging, at least for me that I am often wondering if I should try out the gym to optimize results. A question if you don't mind, what's your system for sets and reps? I imagine someone with lots of experience in both calisthenics and weightlifting has already tried many and has now the best of both worlds.

@nickbokay In terms of sets and reps it really depends on your experience level/current condition.

From my experience, there are certain muscles groups that can handle more volume than others and this will differ depending on the individual. Try working with different amounts of volume per muscle group and see how your body responds.

But as a general rule of thumb, you should try to increase the amount of reps, sets or weight as time moves on. Yet, don't expect the progress to be linear. Some days you might even feel weaker but don't get fooled, as long as you keep going you will get better.

@webslave I am going through a similar experience myself but I've gone the high volume route instead of the weighted calisthenics route. The major benefit is that it got me shredded at the same time as gaining muscle. I am the same height as you and currently about 165lb, down from 195lb when I was into lifting.

I would to see a photo of your 18 inch arms with 15% bodyfat. I have a hard time believing this stat. I'm with you on low bar skull crushers, they are the GOAT triceps exercise. How many bodyweight pull ups can you do in a set if you go all out?

@rakeshdonga 18-inch arms has been a goal of mine for many many years and it killed me when I realized that it would be impossible for me to achieve naturally with a lower BF%. Keep in mind I have been training for more than a decade by now. The natty game sucks unfortunately.

The most amount of bodyweight pull-ups I'm able to do is 22.

@webslave 22 at 205 is boss. When I was close to 200 my max was 15 dead hang. Now I can do 28. What is your waist circumference of you don't mind sharing. Arm / waist circumference is a pretty good ratio for how aesthetic someone is. If arm x 2 = waist circumference it's pretty boss. I'm sitting at 31 inch waist around the navel and 14.5 inch arms cold, 15.5 pumped. It looks pretty good and people compliment...I can't imagine what 18 inch arms look like on someone 5'8 and lean.

@webslave I've always thought of lifting weights as the "end-game"... As in, crawling before I walk

My thought, which at least seems intuitive to me, is: Why would I add plates of weight onto my body movements when I haven't even got full mastery of strength over my own body?

And yeah, if you take your time and really focus on technique and mind-muscle-connection, the results are pretty insane compared to lifting.

I did lift for a few months, and while the results were good, the results I've gotten with just a TRX, a kettle bell, and a set of stairs, have been staggering compared to the results I've gotten when lifting.

@webslave Can you planche and handstand?

I’ve been lifting for over 10 years and just getting into calisthenics. Planche is the single hardest move I have ever attempted and I can barely hold a tuck planche for a few seconds. I can rep 225 on bench and 315 on deadlift (5”8.5 and 140ish bodyweight). No idea on squat as I’m training low weight since I have a torn meniscus.

I realized my core is super weak too. What did you do to build that strength and stability for calisthenics?

@onlyjesus316 I have tried planche, but it's simply just too hard for me. My balance sucks.

For core I can recommend the low-bar triceps extensions. (build arms and core at the same time win-win)

Nice numbers on the bench and deadlift, keep it up!

@onlyjesus316 I say go for it. I had been doing weights for years but been doing mostly calisthenics for the past 8 months. I’m definitely more ripped and toned than I ever been. Back and core have gone crazy strong just through doing front levers, back levers, muscle ups, pull ups, chin-ups e.g.

@onlyjesus316 Bench is a really bad metric for planche. Planche is practically a shoulder isolation exercise. OHP has a much higher correlation than bench.

It’s just like how training bench won’t necessarily grow your OHP much, but training your OHP will definitely increase your bench.

I have a planche and Maltese on rings. My bench PR is 335lbs. 5’8”. BW 170lbs. Dip +225lbs. I can OHP my body weight, never tried higher, but I could probably manage 185lbs.

If you really want a planche, you have to focus shoulders harder than anything else. OHP, paused dips, dumbbell planche presses, front raises, etc. Planche isn’t even really a skill like people say, it’s just a pure strength hold. There’s actually no real balance involved.

@webslave This is the route I was wanting to start. I've been going to the gym for a decade and I was honestly just getting bored with it. Lifting heavy weights just aint fun anymore and wanted to switch up my fitness regimen. Was thinking of just getting a jump rope, a bar, some weights, doing some sprints and start doing workouts in my yard now that the weather is getting nicer.

Thank you for sharing your story.