A bodybuilder's experience going from weights only to calisthenics-based training

@webslave
I have gained 5lbs from when I started which is amazing considering my training experience

Not at all to detract from your enjoyment of more a calisthenics-focused routine, but let's all keep in perspective that 98%+ of what you've achieved was from a barbell, and what you've done is to transition to exercise that don't use a barbell. 5lb over three years is margin of error stuff.

I'm highlighting this because I don't think most people who start with a bodyweight only routine would be able to achieve what you have. The transitions from exercise variations, and from unweighted to weighted exercises are much more jarring and less effective than simply adding more weight to your pull-up or dip. Isolation work is also harder and lower body is just less effective.

Without actual measurements and photos we also can't discount the fact that you might be perceiving improvements where none exist. Chalking 5lb up to muscle gain is going to be a wild guess.

@betaninja Thank you for your message.

Your argument is true. The vast majority of the muscle that I've built over the years has been built during the first 5 years of working out in the gym with barbells, machines etc.

However, seeing any muscular progress beyond this point in your training journey as a natural is incredible and something that I wanted to share for people that are thinking about making the move to more calisthenics-based training.

@betaninja Most people who start at the gym won’t achieve what he has either. So that isn’t a fair point.

How many people do you see deadlifting 500 pounds in a commercial gym? My guess it’s less then 5% of the current gym population. And that’s discounting the fact that those who have less discipline, motivation, bad genetics are all quitting way more often. And those that have the opposite are the ones who’re sticking around. So the gym population is already skewed to those with good genetics.

Just look at Kai Greene if you want another example of how you don’t need to lift extreme heavy weights to get big and strong. You can get plenty big and strong with weighted calisthenics like this guy has.. and he’s putting up some serious added weight anyway.

For some reason people seem to think movements like squats/deadlifts are the only way to get certain results. And that a weighted split squat or lunge could never achieve the same.. which is really silly honestly.

@webslave Have you tried doing ring tricep extensions? You start with a neutral grip at "bottom" with elbows forward and then rotate the rings into pronated for peak contraction at "top". I started on low bar extensions but switched to rings, I feel like I get a more complete lockout on my arms and it feels better on my shoulders than the bar. Calisthenics is so great for arms, man lol. Anytime I see a lean dude with disproportionately large and defined arms, I assume they do calisthenics. I gd love walking around with horseshoe triceps, 3d delts, and being 12% bf so they look even bigger. My arms start to border on silly/novelty when I've been on creatine, just huge. Makes me wonder how much larger I could make them on gear.

@derekmc I am also surprised by the arm gains that you can get doing calisthenics, the tri/bicep pumps are insane. Underrated af.

The ring extension sounds killer. I will definitely give it a shot.

@webslave Just wanna say I really appreciate your post! Been wanting to get into calisthenics for the longest time after years of traditional hypertrophy/strength training but terrified of losing all my gainz lol.

Your words have given me the confidence to go full send on calisthenics!!!

@webslave What was your bench before you switched over?

You deadlift number does not add up to your dip numbers.

How are you finding ways to stimulate your legs without squats? I’d imagine you’d lose some leg size without the ability to move barbell loadable weights.

@ingersoll Yes, I was horrible at dips in the beginning due to bad shoulder mobility. But I can easily do 90lbsx10 weighted ring dips now.

For lower-body I do:

- Romanian deadlifts with 110lbs dumbbells in each hand for hamstrings.

- High volume dumbbell squats (20 reps/sets) with 110lbs in each hand. (Trust me the burn in the quads and traps is unreal)

- Weighted lunges.

- High volume weighted calf-raises on stairs.

@webslave Were you simply not doing dips before?

You also didn’t answer my question. What were your other lifts before the transition?

The leg work you are doing now does not seem sufficient to maintain what you built with your barbell movements. Do you have a physique comparisons between now and 3 years ago?

@ingersoll I were doing dips before but would never prioritze them the same way that I would prioritize my bench. During my last years in the gym I completely avoided dips due to should discomfort.

Before the gym lockdowns I achieved

- 550lbs x 1 deadlift

- 365lbs x 1 bench press

- 405x5 squat (Never had the balls to 1RM during squats)

When it comes to overall physique goals my aim has always been the silver-era physiques. Due to genetics and probably height my quads have been overdeveloped in comparison to my upper-body which is something that I've been trying to change for a long time. Focusing on calisthenics has done wonders in this regard.