A four day workout split, please share your thoughts and insights

vadadell

Hey guys,

22M, Starting Bodyweight – 116kg, Current Bodyweight – 109kg, Height – 183cm

Currently I’m following a 5-day split of PPLUL, but that has been tough to stick to due to my schedule, and I'm considering switching to a upper-lower split. And i want y'all to review and suggest changes if any to my training program. I’ve been training for a while now, but inconsistency has been rough.

My Goal is to lose fat and drop down to in the range of 70 – 80 kgs, the only problem I face as of now is inconsistency to due rigid schedule.

Upper Body Split:

1. Barbell Bench Press:

1 * warmup set

3 * failure (Rep range is 6-8)

2. Incline Dumbbell Press:

3 * 15 reps

3. Lat Pull Down – Neutral Grip

3* 15 reps

(I don’t do pull ups as of now due my body weight)

4. Compound Rowing

3 * 15 reps

5. Side lateral raises:

3 * 15-20 reps

6. Bicep curls (any variation):

3 * 15 reps

7. Triceps pushdowns:

3 * 15 reps

Lower Body Split:

1. Barbell Squats:

1 * warmup set

3 * 8-12 reps, working set

2. Smith machine RDLs:

3 * 15 reps

3. Leg Extensions:

3 * 15 reps

4. Seated Hamstring curls:

3 * 15 reps

5. Seated/Standing Calf Raises:

3 * 15 reps

Apart from this, I do occasionally go for a run on weekends, if possible, around 2-3 kilometers.

Do let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

@vadadell Good solid program. Nice. I'd personally replace Smith Machine RDLs with dumbbell or barbell ones but aside from that everything looks good.

You could also create a B version of this with exercise swaps so you're not doing the same exercises twice a week. You could then do those on the second upper and lower days.

@kbuzbee The consistency issue is really because of the obstacles in my schedule, i'm a master's student, who is trying to prepare for the upcoming placements session. Irregular scheduling by the college authorities of important things causes these obstacles. Which affects both, my self study as well as the gym. All of this increases stress, which leads to overeating. And missing out on planned workouts adds to the overall fatigued mind.

As far as the duration of the sessions go, my average session is aroung 60-90 mins, i don't think i'd be spending more time than that at the gym.