A question for runners with thick thighs

timothysir

How do you keep your shorts from riding up? I’ve only just run in shorts for the first time in my life (at age 28), and I absolutely love it. I feel so free, I don’t care who sees my legs, and it’s nice to not be so covered. I’ve got body-glide for the chafing, so my only current problem is my shorts riding up. Is this something that can be prevented, or do i have to just deal with it if I want to run in shorts? Are my shorts too short? Too tight? I want to keep running in shorts, but I don’t want to feel like I’m really just running in underwear.

Sorry if this is a dumb post. All of my runner friends are super lean and said they don’t have to deal with the riding up.

pic for reference

edit: you’re all so wonderful and I am so grateful for the overwhelmingly positive response and I swear I’ll reply to all of you sometime this weekend. I’ve just had a super stressful week and I don’t have the energy for anything outside of my daily routine right now! 😅

@trotsky Ok so I did look for a place to purchase, but I can’t find it anywhere! The company is local I think, so that’s probably why. They’re called Negative Split and they’re based in Spokane, WA afaik.

@timothysir Thick thighs and inward growing thigh bones person here. The solution is longer fitted shorts or straight out pants. I have loose shorts with built in tights but the shell cramps up at my crotch anyway so it's equally ugly😫

@timothysir I only have that issue when wearing women’s shorts. In middle school, I got kinda self conscious about my thicc thighs and started wearing boys basketball shorts. I’ve never had a problem with them riding up.

@timothysir Your shorts may be too short or too tight but I really feel like it has to do with how your body is proportioned as well. Everything rides up on me, and I have pretty thin thighs compared to my hips and booty. So, I kind of just lean into it and go with SHORT shorts, to be honest, that way there is less material to ride up and bunch uncomfortably. I like the variety with built in undies like these: https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/w-everysport-short/p/0010258525.0904 .

I think someone else posted about running skirts in here too, maybe that would be something to look into?

@timothysir Shorts always ride up on me, regardless of what size I am or what shorts I wear or what I wear underneath. I find it so annoying and difficult to concentrate when this happens.

I find the best solution to be knee length or mid-thigh leggings/spandex. They let most of your leg breathe but are fitted enough that they stay i place.

Back