Almost 40 and in the best shape of my life

@uzezi Why do people always have to say this? If someone wasn't exercising, then started without changing their diet, then the exercise led to the fat loss. Exercise can help with fat loss and it's critical for health.

@tongdtbds3 In this case at least, people say it because its true.

Unless you do extended bouts of strenuous, cardio-based exercise pretty much every single day, it will not result in a meaningful calorie deficit. And even if you DO do that your body will downregulate other calorie burning processes, further blunting the calorie burning effect of exercise (which is already low). Pilates and resistance training and yoga are even less effective than cardio. And adding up the numbers from fitness trackers proves nothing because (a) they're notoriously inaccurate and (b) as noted above, exercise isn't purely "additive" in the way people think as I noted above re: compensation.

Exercise is amazing and great for health. Everyone should exercise regularly in a way that they enjoy. And yes, it "helps," but exercise is a relatively minor factor in weight loss. Its regularly discussed on this sub, however, as if its a viable weight loss modality on its own, which it is absolutely not.

So that is why people say this.

@lynnmarie143 All that sounds great. Congrats! If you're able to get a result you're happy with, it really doesn't matter what the mechanism of action is.

But just because you're not counting calories doesn't meant that your success in shedding fat isn't overwhelmingly attributable to your diet, not your exercise routine.

No one is saying exercise is bad or should be discouraged. The problem is the persistence of information and advice that is wrong and untrue, which is ultimately counterproductive for those who are trying to lose weight. The idea that (a) people must or even should exercise in order to lose weight and (b) exercise alone is a viable weight loss modality is just flat out wrong.

@tongdtbds3 Because creating a deficit through exercise alone , especially Pilates , is extremely difficult.
I’m saying it because it’s my opinion which I’m free to post . Bye.

@uzezi Absolutely baffled by the downvotes. You would think the fitness dogma would have cracked a bit at this point in the face of overwhelming evidence. But I guess it took people a long time to accept the earth wasn't flat. And of course there are still stragglers...

@uzezi Probably because she is talking about how her exercise has helped her. So ya, obviously diet is important. But if it's controlled for and the difference is her activity, then you'd be wrong.

But you're mostly getting the down votes for being a Debbie Downer

@mikeshimmy Op wasn’t the one disagreeing with me .
I wouldn’t have left me comment if diet had been controlled and exercise was the only difference. Water is wet. Some things you don’t need to say .

@uzezi Op says literally nothing about diet in her post. You're only kidding yourself. You're unaware that exercise can accelerate fat loss and make people feel better?

@mikeshimmy Op said they eat healthy and would’ve likely mentioned macro tracking if that had been the case . I left my comment simply because I worry people see posts like this , and think they might just need Pilates to lose fat. I’m not kidding myself about anything. You can think what you want. Doesn’t bother me.

@uzezi Just saying it’s a little odd to state your “opinion” as fact. This is one of the main reasons I love Lia because it’s not exactly Pilates which I do find limiting. There are plenty of studies about the benefits of consistent low impact exercise. Are you saying that if you never exercised and only worried about your diet, your body would have the same body fat percentage as if you added a consistent exercise routine??

Back