Am I missing out if I dont squat ?

@jayaraj Repping faster is absolutely not at all the way to generate more tension. You should be using a controlled negative and then explode up on basically everything, as much as you’re able to. Your goal should be to standardise the reps as much as possible meaning starting at the same point, stopping at the same point, using the same tempo as best you can on everything.

@chevygirl1990 I mean do slow and controlled negatives. When I mean I rep faster....I mean I dont take 5-10 secs break inbetween reps due to being out of breath. Thats what happens when I squat.

@jayaraj Ah, got you, my bad. I feel that too, free weight squatting is brutal cardio wise. I still love squatting but yeah you can build enormous legs and likely better quads using hacks and leg press, or seeing if squatting in a Smith Machine feels good as well.

@jayaraj
.I mean I dont take 5-10 secs break inbetween reps due to being out of breath. Thats what happens when I squat.

I'd work on that primarily. Cardio and work capacity are very important for your long term progress and longevity.

@jayaraj Well duh, you're using a machine that locks you into a preset range of motion and removes your back from the equation. Of course you're going to feel it in your quads more. That's like saying leg curls hit your hamstrings more directly than deadlifts.

@dawn16 Yeah they do, that's the point. "Machines are better for direct isolation than free weight compounds" is an irrelevant statement to make because it's true for most people and doesn't add anything to the conversation. OOP said it anyway and is trying to make up a weird justification.

@confusedgirl98 I think this is a common thing ppl have about skipping certain muscles because they think they’re too big, not realising it can cause imbalances . If you have glute weakness this can lead to lower back issues in the future and a failure to fire your glutes during squat movements can cause your lower back to take over.

Up to you obvs but you could do just a couple of heavy sets, few reps to strengthen but not induce hypertrophy where you’re tapping the muscle out.

@paulsimmonds60 While I agree in principle, I tend to be very glute/hip dominant, and get a decent glute pump and soreness from a set of RDLs or a few sets of hacks/leg press

But yeah, have been considering adding some strength work like sets of 3 on conventional deadlift

@jayaraj No single exercise is necessary for hypertrophy when an alternative exists.

However, a heavy, deep, controlled squat is fucking difficult, and the coordination, focus, endurance, and energy required to do them has tons of carry-over in being strong and tenacious in other areas of the gym. Also applicable to real life scenarios versus things like a quad extension.

I think the squat is underrated for that reason, but again, not necessarily necessary

@jayaraj Work on your hip and knee flexion. I agree that squats are not the ultimate leg builder exercise. But, they train your body and mind to handle hard movements. Pushing hard on your last set of heavy squats transfers over to your incline dumbbell presses etc. you want to train your body to be capable of pushing through the resistance.

They suck and are difficult and that’s why you should do them. Don’t need to do it every leg day but maybe every other?