Am I too Old for gains? Muscle and Strength?

@lucaannibale You are 1000000% not eating enough. Up to 150-200g a day of protein. Probably 3500 calories or so. Post back in 6 months when you’re a beast.

You already put in the effort at The gym. That’s the hardest part

@lucaannibale Great! Keep at it, don’t focus on the scale weight! Your weight should go up but if you’re challenging yourself physically you’ll create muscle. Gotta create a demand. And then feed your body the resources to meet it!

Can’t wait to see n update in 6 months or so!

@lucaannibale I don't think you're eating enough if you're really training 6 days per week. I used to be 155lbs and now 4 years later I'm 190 and leaner. I thought I needed maybe 2500kcal to grow. I tested it (weighed all my food for like a week or two) and it turned out I needed 3200kcal. Now when I'm bulking I'm at around 36-3700kcal. 3000 is maintenance.

@xlaurax Wow! Thats amazing. I think I’m going to try that… weighing every single thing for a while. I’m analytical like that so it would be interesting to do. What kind of scale do you use?

@lucaannibale I just have a basic kitchen scale. I had 4-5 dishes that were simple to make and had decent macros, and ate mostly those over and over for a couple of weeks. Breakfast and lunch were basic, and then i'd vary dinner to fill out my macros. For example, I'd place a bowl on the scale, and then drop 250g of yogurt, 2 scoops of protein, 150g of granola, a banana, 60-70g peanut butter. Easy to weigh, not a huge volume of food, but close to 1400kcal and 100g of protein.

You can top it off with different berries, or add Chia etc. Lunch can be a Chipotle burrito or something similar, etc. Things you can easily vary a bit, but that are easy to make and give you good calories and protein. My default is to assemble vs spend time cooking while in this weighing process to just make things easier for myself. So a can of beans, two cans of tuna, some tomatoes, maybe a microwaved sweet potato, hot sauce, this makes it easy to weigh so it's not a chore.

@lucaannibale Maybe In about 30 years you can hang up the towel, until then training is a fountain of youth. Your around the age where test decline is significant yes but you WILL still gain mass in limited quantities regardless. Strength gains on the other hand NEVER STOP, let me introduce you to 9 time record holder and currently the oldest man to ever complete in strongman, Odd Haugen. 73 years old and gaining strength for new records to this day 💪

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_Haugen

@lucaannibale Protein and creatine. You gotta add those to your daily diet. And instead of looking looking at your calories, start looking at the amount of lean protein you are eating. You’re on a diet and fitness routine to lose weight or lean out. If you want to see gains, you have to incorporate good old fashion free weights. Bench, squats, dumbbells, fly’s, all of the OG shit - because it works.
If you make those three changes you’ll see gains in physique and strength. And I tell you all of this at 46.

@lucaannibale Never too old to gain, there are studies on 90 years old who gain strength.

1 - What is your complete routine?

2 - How do you progressive overload?

3 - Do you deload?

4 - Are those 1:30 rest between straight sets or supersets?

@lucaannibale I started back at the gym 5 months ago. full body 1-2 hour workouts every 4th day ( 3 days rest ). Right arm was 13.5" now closing in on 16".

From 173 lbs to 204 lbs.

I'm 50.

Just eat more and protein too. I think.

@lucaannibale Definitely suggest to increase your daily caloric intake, along with protein intake & Creatine.

How many calories are you burning a day? And during workouts? You need to be in a surplus to gain muscle, and protein is key in that. People always say 1g/lb but I’ve seen research suggesting even .7/lb to be hugely beneficial. That’s only 125g per day for you, super doable.

Back