An Update on Apartment Noise Management

cravinmaven

Here's an update from my previous posts two weekends ago on how I could better manage my workout noise with my downstairs neighbour.

A quick recap: on a Saturday early afternoon, I did a pretty hardcore kettlebell workout (my bad, I used the momentum for exercise 2 as I'm not strong enough); my downstair neighbour 'broomed' me during the set. I sent her a bottle of wine and a bag of chips with a card including my phone number as an apology, but importantly, I wanted to give her a way to get in touch if we bothered her.

Here's the update:

As alluded to in my previous post, it was not easy being vulnerable and I was disappointed when I didn't hear back from my neighbour at first. Four days later, I got a text from her. She thanked me for the wine and chips and told me it was unnecessary but much appreciated. And she was sorry, too, she got annoyed as she thought I was dropping weights (I guess when I rolled it was louder than I thought). She admitted that she found it challenging holing up during the pandemic and she encouraged us to continue to work out.

It was such a huge relief for me because the last thing I wanted is to create more resentment and stress to other people when this is obviously a difficult time for everyone. Now that I have my direct line of communication with her, I would text her when I know we'd be generating noise with notice. Say, last weekend, we're spring cleaning our apartment and I texted her in the morning that she should be expecting more foot-stomping and vacuuming that afternoon; she thanked me and appreciated the heads-up.

I am really glad how this played out and now I feel so much happier working out. I also want to thank the community here for giving me some silent low-impact workout options. Listing it out here from your previous comments as they are quite helpful:
  1. Natasha Ocean on YouTube, no-noise/no-impact example workout
  2. Whitney Simmons on Youtube
  3. My personal favorite - the Body Coach and an example low-impact workout - he also has tons of workout for seniors and children so you can share them with your family and work out together over Zoom if you like!
To add, I am a qualified yoga instructor so I know how to do a completely silent flow or a workout; but I just wanted to say there are some benefits to goofing around, jumping, moving around and I'm just pleased that I found a way to do that without negatively affecting others.

I also want to take this chance to remind everyone (mostly myself!) that's it's okay you're not as diligent with your workout during this pandemic. My office just announced that we'll all be working remotely this whole month (in May). We're lucky we still have a job and I really enjoy being with my husband who also works from home; it has its challenges. I am upset at times that I am not working out as much as before this pandemic hit - we all are working far less (I used to walk to and from the office and go to the gym 3-4 times a week). I love chips. I am eating chips and drinking every day. It is super bizarro how this is all playing out. I'm trying to meditate more (btw here's a great free meditation app that I use).

How are you coping during this pandemic? I would love to hear from you if you're also living in apartments; or not!

Back