Animal-free whey protein is on the market now!

@raef They already make the ice cream! I’ve had it and it’s really good. It’s kind of expensive but that’s probably best for my waistline lol. It actually was from the same parent company that makes this whey protein, the Urgent Company .

@adamhurst Have you tried it?

I'm curious about this bothers other people's stomach the way animal whey does. Even before I went vegan I had switched to soy or pea protein because whey isolate always gave me stomach issues - discomfort, gas, diarrhea, etc, - even when it was lactose free. curious about people's experiences with plant derived whey.

@deacongirl Have you tried conventional whey protein? If yes, did you notice any difference in taste?

I'm wondering if we're going to hear arguments of "but animal free-whey doesn't taste as good" in the future...

@elliee
Have you tried conventional whey protein?

No, so I don't have a reference point, unfortunately. But keep in mind it's molecularly identical to animal whey isolate so there is no way that it could be actually be different in taste. But that won't stop the dairy farmer shills from making shit up. You know they will.

@deacongirl
But keep in mind it's molecularly identical to animal whey isolate so there is no way that it could be actually be different in taste.

That's why I would expect. When I would drink whey protein it would have this sort of grassy/gamey/funky after taste that would linger hours after. It's also present in many aged cheeses. I am not sure if these are some trace aromatics or if it actually is the flavor of whey.

I am hoping that vegan whey does not have this lingering flavor because it's pretty wretched to have your mouth all day.

@elliee There is no lingering flavor. Maybe because it is just the whey isolate which in this case is only beta lactoglobulin. The vanilla sundae flavor tasted creamy and delicious. Zero complaints.

Note conventional whey that hasn't had the non-proteins removed has like 8 different kinds of molecules I believe. So maybe that's what you tasted?

@deacongirl Okay I went down a little rabbit hole and found this from the US dairy industry.

It appears that whey protein concentrate gets contaminated by lipid oxidation products of fats found in milk. I'm going to speculate that if the yeast is not also producing dairy fats then these lipid oxidation products might be avoided in whey protein isolate from yeast.

@deacongirl Thank you! Cleaner flavor would definitely be an advantage of vegan whey over conventional. It would be great if yeast could make dairy fats for other products but in this application having them removed entirely is awesome.

@dubschanging I got the same issues with whey, but I think it was because of the lactose, I think I will buy it in the future when I go on a cut, but at this moment I don't use any protein powder because it's expensive

@dubschanging I’ve tried it. Zero stomach issues. I accidentally drank milk in a coffee a while ago, after only about 8 months vegan, and I had diarrhea. But now, after a year and a half vegan, no issues with this whey.

@adamhurst
a lot of people still believe that plant protein isn't good enough to optimally build muscle which obviously isn't true

Well if we are talking optimization then we are comparing different protein sources. Whey protein is more bioavailable right? If this is true then isn't their argument, that whey protein is more optimal than plant for building muscle, also true?

It should go without saying that people can still build muscle with plant-based protein only and that animal based proteins are less optimal than plant if a person is trying to build muscle humanely.