Animal-free whey protein is on the market now!

@dawn16 They feed the microflora simple sugars, probably in the form of malted grains. So you would have to quantify the crops fed to the microflora for fermentation vs crops fed to people. Plus a few additional variables obviously.

Just a though, sugars from grains come from the carbohydrates that are converted by enzymes. Extracting protein from grains leaves you with excess carbohydrates. Maybe it's possible to utilize the protein from the grains for direct plan protein, then use the carbohydrates as a food source for the microflora to produce more protein? Idk.

@adamhurst This is really interesting, not sure how I feel about this being classified as vegan though. No animals are harmed or exploited, but it's still an animal protein. I read through all the info on the website you linked and while it shouldn't aggravate lactose intolerance, it's still not suitable for people with a dairy allergy. Animals are not involved in the manufacturing process but its still an animal product. I'm allergic to dairy, so it's off the table for me anyway. I love this idea though! I feel the same about lab grown meat, I'm all for it but I doubt I'd consume it myself. I've been vegan for too long, there's no going back 😂