Animal-free whey protein is on the market now!

@adamhurst It seems like you mean feasibly not optimally. I hope this doesn't seem like splitting hairs but there is a big difference in meaning which is important when talking about science. If we substitute the definition of optimally in your original sentence it reads:

a lot of people still believe that plant protein isn't good enough to optimally build muscle in the best or most favorable way which obviously isn't true

This truth is not obvious. If you define best or most favorable as the most efficient protein for building muscle than any animal based protein with a complete amino acid profile and a higher bioavailablity is superior to plant proteins. If you define best or most favorable to also include the number of animals harmed or environmental impact than plant proteins could be the best or most favorable option.

I agree with you that it is feasible to build muscle if you just eat more plant protein to compensate for its reduced bioavailability. Many people still believe it isn't possible to build muscle by eating only plant proteins which obviously isn't true.

@elliee Higher bioavailability isn't something magical. let's say I consume sugar that has a bioavailability of 90% so when I eat 100g of sugar 90g enters my body, compare this to me eating sugar of which has a bioavailability of 100% I would get a 100g in my body if I consumed the same amount. With the first sugar I could just take 10% more so the same amount enters my body as with the second sugar. The same applies to protein, just eating a bit more compensates for the bioavailability. The difference in bioavailability is also very small, I really recommend to watch this video

"All plant foods contain all 20 amino acids, including the 9 indispensable amino acids" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6893534/

It's a common misconception that plants don't contain all the amino acids, the truth is they do but the proportions of amino acids are just less balanced.

This doesn't matter because throughout the day you consume different sources with different amino acid profiles that balance each other out so you get a net balance

@adamhurst The affiliate link talked about making cheese with the process. Please let this be real. Vegan cheese is the only substitute I don't like where as all the other types of alternatives taste better than the original to me. Seeing as how the alt milk market exploded I'm thinking this might be a fantastic stock buy if it is legit?

@adamhurst I’ve been trying it out the last few weeks and I can confirm it tastes amazinggg. Would love to have it regularly but the price point is a lil high for me rn :/

@adamhurst I tried it and I absolutely love it - had no stomach issues (I was worried a dairyish product might fuck up my stomach).

It tastes fantastic and blends phenomenally. Plus 22g protein per scoop / 130 cal which is pretty good.

@sicjoy Whey doesn't cause cancer. Red meat is a group 2A carcinogen, though.

If cell cultured red meat keeps someone from eating a cow then I don't care if it's a carcinogen. People make choices.

@sicjoy This is exactly what I was thinking and why I still have an issue with lab grown meat and protein. Sure its great for the environment but I don't want this in my body if whey protein is still being linked to cancer and increased wear and tear on my arteries.

@adamhurst I think this brings up a really interesting question: Is ex-vivo cell-culture produced meat and dairy "vegan"?

I think we're going to see all of our most common animal products switch to cell culture based means of production in the next couple decades. It'll be too cheap not to at some point.

I would argue that it is vegan, but I would also argue that it further distinguishes vegans and plant-based people-- we may start seeing "vegans" eating ex-vivo meat, meat eaters becoming vegans by accident, and plant-based folks being the only ones left not eating it for health reasons.

@maryjosephine
Is ex-vivo cell-culture produced meat and dairy "vegan"?

Yes, no animals were used in the production process. And it undercuts the factory farming industry. So, very vegan, imo.

For some reason, some people think that "veganism" means an aversion to anything that isn't plant based.

@elliee Not sure about the specific implementation here. A single protein is probably cheaper to build without cow tissue entirely, but artificial milk is definitely on the horizon.

@maryjosephine From my understanding the current whey from transgenic yeast method does not fall under the cell-culture definition. I also don't really see a benefit of producing dairy from cell culture compared to yeast. Seems like it would be more complicated and expensive so not really feasible and not something to expect in the future commercially (unless super niche).

Your question about cell-culture meat is an interesting one.