Anyone catch Sevan and Hiller talking about Olivia Kerstetter's weight?

@yahsway I caught a Hiller episode that auto played while I was meal prepping today and he was talking about weight loss and it was so wrong. Embarrassingly wrong. Like Dr. Fung and Gary Taubes level wrong.

@justabeggarwhojesuslove I will need to actively watch the video to give you specifics because I wasn’t paying full attention. IIRC, there was a point you mentioned about building muscle while in a deficit. I think there were other parts regarding some less than correct takes on carbohydrates.

I believe in EPOC in that your body actively works to return to homeostasis which requires metabolism. I’m not a believer in the magnitude of effect that EPOC post-metcon is thought to have.

@caleb_m The last part was the main point of the video. Not that is doesn't "exist" but that the magnitude compared to something like altering your diet or going on a walk makes it insane to use to promote your form of exercise. So we Agree there.

My stance on carbs has always been that your consumption should fit your goals. So I'd be curious if there is a possible misunderstanding there as well?

@justabeggarwhojesuslove I remember a comment about not being able to be healthy consuming carbs in the video.

You’re burying the lead with the EPOC stuff. The magnitude of EPOC from strength training is worth mentioning which is where things get tricky. If The Methodology is the best way to get to health, it needs revised because there is a large body of evidence that muscle mass drives positive metabolic changes…more than a calorically balanced, nutrient dense diet even. But it has to be done routinely, not once every heavy day. Conditioning on the other hand…not as much is needed as The Methodology will have you believe.

You also can’t (without altering your chemistry) build that muscle in a deficit. You can absolutely get stronger, which is going to help many who walk into an affiliate for the first time. This has been the magic of the 3-on-1-off WGM model. Of course your squat will increase if you went from never squatting to doing a bunch of movements that involve a hinge. Neuromuscular connections are a thing.

But to build the metabolic flame higher, you can’t be in a deficit and you surely can’t limit carbs to just “some fruit, little starch”. You’ll need at least 2g/lbs of bodyweight from carb to effectively fuel metcons for performance…so you’ll need even more than that to actually build mass. Thats why you see so many people with their fruity chewies at the gym. Replenishing glycogen at a time it’s most able to be taken up.

To say the pursuit of building muscle is unhealthy is troublesome, IMO. But I’m not blind to the fact that many people should prioritize losing weight before worrying about gaining muscle, just a point of contention on the efficacy of how.

I think we’re probably in a similar camp over all as I’ve been pretty open on my takes of the current landscape and view towards body composition. I just think it’s worth explicitly stating nuances.

@iwantchristmore28 Not that many people do. During the peak of Wodapalooza this past weekend (which was getting 8k viewers on its live stream) he was only getting like 600 viewers. His ploy to get more subscribers with his Behind The Scenes series isn't really moving the needle either. (Disclaimer: I pay attention to this stuff because I'm a creator in the same space, not because I'm any sort of fan of his.)