Are presses enough for upper chest?

@curiousmel IME I've had some good shoulder/lat/trap growth and a small amount of chest growth. I don't think "looking odd" will happen but adding in some dips isn't a bad idea.

@broncofan No need. I always used an old granny walker that's surprisingly sturdy.
And recently I moved to an apartment that has three balconies. Each one has iron handrails with corners at both sides, and they're perfect for dips.

@curiousmel The answer you’re looking for is: “yes you can build your chest with a KB press” but that’s untrue. But feel free to do what you like. Just offering my advice. Building muscle takes work, sorry.

@curiousmel They will work your shoulders, abs, triceps’s too, not to mention proper scapula protraction/retraction. It’s a simple exercise with more cues for proper engagement than people realize. My minimalism is broader than yours in that I do calisthenics, kettlebells, and sandbags. I perform an element from each and keep my workouts to 30 min, 5-6 time a week. 46 male, 170 lb and 9% body fat from keeping it simple and short.

Edit: some grammar

@curiousmel Minimalist effort will result in minimal growth. It’s honestly a terrible take that does not translate well at all to hypertrophic efforts. The only way there is committing to the work and being consistent with it.

@curiousmel I echo the opinions here that I'd try to work in pushup variations and dips if you can. For the last few months, I've been doing dips(either Weighted or unweighted) after every KB workout and i can definitely tell a difference in arm, chest and shoulder size and definition. After my KB workout, I do 15 rds of 30 seconds of work, 30 seconds of rest, and alternate each minute between suitcase carries, dips, and one arm rows. Awesome finisher.

@curiousmel I personally think that it is enough for chest size maintenance, but not for growth. However, there is no reason to avoid push ups and dips. They are great horizontal presses that will have a positive carryover to your overhead pressing. I would mix in different hand and elbow positions on push ups, mix in doing them with push up handles, and also perform dips/push ups on gymnastics rings. You should also eventually do them weighted and add pauses for an extra challenge too.

@curiousmel I do a lot of push ups and heavy kb C&P. I have a big frame and haven’t worked beach muscles since late teens but my chest has grown in the past year on those exercises

@curiousmel You can do halo's, kettlebell thrusters, holding the kettlebell in front with your arms at 90 degrees, bent over rolls! Just be creative. Do Keto or carnivore and you will see results