Are there any exercise more brutal than the horse stance?

@graced1257 Yes, many. You’re just not used to it.

I remember the first day of wrestling practice, all we had to do was be in a wrestling stance and move around. Not being used to it, we also found it excruciating and unimaginably tiring. A month later it was very easy to be in that stance and left no soreness.

I cant say there is anything inherently difficult about doing a horse stance compared to other exercises.

@ihnoa We had this scrimmage drill where we'd partner up by weight, then get on opposite sides of the room and get in a wall sit. You and your partner would get called in to go at it for 20-30 seconds, then back to the wall while the next pair went. Brutal

@ihnoa Wrestling used to be known for having the best conditioning in high school sports. Maybe it still does--I haven't been in high school for a long time.

I played football and was one of the smaller guys on the team. When we did drills that required pairing up with someone of similar size, I always ended up guys that wrestled.

There was this one where we stood helmet to helmet, grabbed each other's shoulder pads near the armpits, and when the whistle blew, would just kick the crap out of each other, but keeping our grip on the pads.

I could hold my own better against large teammates than against the wrestlers. I'd be pinned in the dirt every time against them. Least favorite drill, by far.

@graced1257 Lol yes, so much so that the question is kind of funny.
Google full planche or iron cross. Both close to the limit of what is achievable by someone who does not have the time to train as much as a professional athlete, but there is harder stuff.

If you want stuff with more flexibility, reverse planche (I mean a Mexican handstand so low you’re parallel to the ground) or going from middle splits to standing by pure active flexibility strength (needs sliders or socks).

@serietah You're completely right. It's really not all that complex to learn a cross, however it's definitely not easy. I explained this, then guided my cousin through the steps, left him to it, and he arrived at the conclusion I expected him to:

It's not worth it to even do higher difficulty ring strength skills, planches are an exception, but crosses, malteses, azarians, okay there really aren't that many and I'm not listing them all; point is I don't think they're worth the toll they take on the person doing them.

And for what? Beyond competition, it's just not worth it to learn them. At least for me, I don't see any rewards or reasons to get back to harder ring skills. Also I miss having a rings tower and the rings I have now can't compare and make me sad...

@graced1257 Yes. Without googling and assuming it’s the same horse as yoga and martial arts, it’s not hard.

It’s like day one of martial arts, and something experienced practitioners are expected to be able to drop into and hold comfortably for extended periods.

Want hard? Go into horse and start fucking with your feet. Toes up, heels up, lifting a foot, etc

@lina83 Slowly and with control. Start one at a time.

Not rocking back and forth. Intentionally moving with control so that you can stop and change at any moment. No momentum.