Balancing alcohol with physique goals. What the research says

@great_depression Awesome work putting this together, thank you for all of the effort. There is a lot of really helpful information here.

One thing I think is a typo or maybe I am misunderstanding when you are discussing TEF:

Protein is just one example. It happens with every macro to some extent. However, it should be noted that this IS accounted for on nutrition labels and the Atwater system takes this into account.

Doesn’t the Atwater system NOT account for protein’s high TEF? In reading the Wikipedia page on Atwater I don’t see info about TEF.
In Martin Berkhan’s book “The Leangains Method” when discussing the Atwater system in chapter 3 he says that Atwater’s Metabolizable Energy calculations do not factor in TEF.

The article you linked by Lyle doesn’t seem to explicitly state that Atwater doesn’t account for TEF, but that seems to be what he is indicating when he’s talking about TEF.

Am I misunderstanding, misinformed, or did you make a typo?

@suma
As mentioned previously, Atwater’s energy factors, the specific energy factors, take into account the physiological availability of the energy from these foods. They adjust the energy content of a food according to the properties of the food matrix and thus the bioavailability of the energy from the energy supplying substances: protein, fat, carbohydrate and alcohol.

The specific energy factors are based on the amounts of energy liberated when the macronutrients are metabolically oxidised, allowing for incomplete intestinal absorption

http://foodfacts.foodcomp.info/ToolBox_Atwater.asp

@ /@paparazi257 (or another dietician or similar) could you confirm if the Atwater system takes protein into account on nutrition labels? Or am I misunderstanding this?

@great_depression You share an article specifically using women for impact of alcohol on muscle... I cannot cite, but I do remember reading on how acute alcohol consumption effects women differently in that it actually raises their testosterone levels where as in men in lowers it. Just a bit worth adding - and if youd like to research it further you can

@dawn16 I'm on my phone atm but I believe that is in there under the "Hormones" section.

In men, the one that lowered it was with heavy drinking but light drinking increased it.

If the women one isn't in there I'll see if I can find it.

@great_depression Ok, I was just looking at the one study you reference women in acute alcohol consumption does not effect muscle comp but then the other study for moderate consumption it does. Just pointing out that may be skewed if what I'm remembering is correct. Just a conversation. Wonder what acute consumption specifically in males looks likes/compares. A sample of only 10 participants is kind of low also. Overall great info

@great_depression Good read, thanks. I love to lift and am also probably technically an alcoholic. I have about 5 drinks a day on average, usually rum and ginger ale or beer. Honestly my progress in the gym hasn’t really disappointed me. I workout 4 days a week and rarely do cardio but have an active lifestyle. From time to time I quit drinking for a couple of weeks or go a bit harder on the booze. I don’t really notice much difference in terms of my physique or strength so long as I’m consistent with my training. That being said I’m not under the illusion that drinking several drinks a day isn’t unhealthy, I just enjoy it.

@great_depression To summarize everything here, just dont fucking drink. Especially if you’re trying to get ready for a show. There are no added benefits of drinking. Smoke if anything. It’s not complicated people.

@great_depression A big long post that can be summed up with:

"Drinking obviously isn't the best for your body; try to limit it if you care about looking and feeling your best".

Shocking news, more at 6.

@jojo77 Your comment sounds too negative. It doesn't communicate the idea that alcohol in moderation won't have a noticeable negative effect. It reads more like "don't drink, but if you do, don't overdo it", whereas op's reads more like "drinking is fine as long as you don't overdo it".

Regardless, you act like well sourced research isn't valuable. Plenty of people still think alcohol is something to be completely avoided, so I don't get what's with the useless quips like "shocking news, more at 6". This is shocking to some people.

Back