Can’t bench 5kgs even after 6 months of gymming

@lakers44 The bar is itself 15-20 kgs so you bench that much. Also everyone starts at different points, it depends on where you started (weight you benched) for analysing progress.

@heavensknight Started with dumbbell press 10KGs then moved to empty bar then 5kg plates but now can’t really seem to go beyond this. Even 7.5Kg feels too heavy. Not able to increase reps either

@lakers44 Maybe if you are cutting/losing weight. If that is the reason, you might have to increase calorie intake to increase the strength. Also if you do the exercise with proper form and the weight does have an effect on you, its completely fine! You will gradually increase weights over time.

@lakers44 That basically means you are lifting 10 kgs above what you usually do (20 bar + 10 weights). Give it a month's time and you will be able to increase the weight

@lakers44 What’s your weight and height

also I’d suggest to continue with dumbbells only.
it’s okay to fail, as long as you’re willing to try again.

dont over do and injure yourself. Perseverance is the key.

i appreciate how you’re thinking more about it, but trust me nothing is wrong w you. just clean your diet, do pushups.

good things take time. gaining strength takes time.

@lakers44 The empty bar with 5kgs on each side is 30 kgs. Now it depends on a lot of factors like your weight, diet, natural strength, genetics etc but there's nothing wrong in it. If you are comparing yourself to influencers, please don't. Just keep increasing your reps.

I have been working out for 1.5 years and I can probably do bar + 20 + 20 max.

@lakers44 As I said, there are lots of factors. I don't do much sports, never did. I've always had a vegetarian diet. So maybe it will take me some time. Maybe your friend is active, so he can do it quickly. It depends. Just have a tracker and keep on trying. Every two weeks you should be able to increase your rep count or your weight.

@lakers44 He must be a genetic outlier or must have some previous workout experience. Most guys take at least 6 months of serious lifting to reach a 1 rep max of 75kg. Not to mention repping 75 for multiple in a working set.

@lakers44 Don’t say such things mate, I have been working out for around 1.5 years, I am only able to lift 10kg on both sides. I have come from 2.5kg dumbell to 40kg, it’s a lot for me! Trying to improve

@lakers44 first check if your form is correct? between dumbbell press and barbell press, there are some nuances that need to be corrected, like the eye level with the barbell. The most important part in bench/dumbbell press is the leg drive, lats squeeze and wrist stability, combined with a strong core. At a minimal weight, you might not notice much difference, but this will lay a strong foundation as you move upwards.

Back