Can’t progress pull ups - need some help with strategizing

@dollfaceme23 I lose and gain pull-up strength constantly, mainly because I’ll end up training for a powerlifting comp or strongman comp that doesn’t really include any pull-up type movements. I have a kind of system now.

I basically have days of lots of jumping pullups, even if it looks sloppy and weird, for as many sets of 10 as I can.

On another day, I’ll do toes to bar, knees to bar, scap retractions, and ab wheel to build up more lat strength.

Once my jumping pullups look better and I feel I can do pullups again, I’ll add a day where in the beginning of the workout I’ll do sets of 1-3 strict pullups.

Also, eccentric bicep curls are good.

@dollfaceme23 I was in the same boat when I was younger! 2 things helped:

1st, my BJJ gym had a cargo net on one of the walls and my instructors told me to grab it, lean back and do the pull up motion, gradually altering it to be harder. Similar effect could be achieved with bands/assisted pull up machine

2nd, be careful here, but get a little chair or a stool and a doorway pull up bar, use the chair to get yourself into the very end of the pull up motion (not chin up, in case you fall fast), basically gripping bar, arms at 90dg angle, then bend your knees so you're hanging. Hold that position as long as you can (even if you drop quickly) then get back onto the chair and repeat. Do 3 sets of 10 if you can, 5 sets of 5 if you can't

It sounds a little dumb, but you'll notice within a week or 2 you can hold it longer, try a pull up. If you can't, keep doing the "drops" until you can do 1 pull up.

Once you can do 1, the game changes.

Many ways to approach it, do 1 everytime you walk by the bar. Do 1 10 times with a minute rest in between. Do 1 and then do 9 drops for 3 sets. Another week or 2 and you'll be able to do 2, then just replace whatever worked best for you with that number. 2 every time you walk by, 2 10 times with a minute rest, 2 then 8 drops for 3 sets until you you can do 3 etc....

Once you can do 5, start with 5 sets of 5, once you can 10 do 3 sets of 10, 3 sets of 15, 3 sets of 20, 5 sets of 20, 4 sets of 25, etc etc etc until you're pull up champion of the world!

Good luck, I really do think you'll see super fast progress if you keep at it!

@melissarowe1992 You gradually build strength through all points of the pull up! You hold it as long as you can for the first part of the pull up, that part of the muscle builds, then since you're holding it longer, you build the next part of the muscle and so on

@dollfaceme23 I have a good method.

Do as many perfect reps as you can, when you fail, you kick your way up to the top position and hold the position as long as you can, max effort.

You keep fighting the eccentric phase with all your effort until you have come all the way down due to exhaustion..

Thats the end of the session.

Repeat sessions, after full recovery, usually 3-4 days in between would be a good start.

When you can do about ten pull ups, start doing 4 sets till failure per session, the focus and intensity should be there.

Repeat sessions after full recovery. Let your body be the judge.

Back