Chris Hinshaw AMA

oldman1941

Welcome to the Chris Hinshaw AMA! Chris will be on at 7 PM ET using the @catrinabrosko account to answer the questions you ask here! Hello from Chris!

Chris is the endurance coach to hundreds of CrossFit athletes that range from the day-to-day CrossFitter looking to efficiently and effectively improve their fitness, to more than two-dozen podium athletes at the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 CrossFit Games including Sara Sigmundsdottir, Rich Froning, Tia-Clair Toomey, Katrin Davidsdottir, Camille Leblanc-Bazinet, Mat Fraser, and Julie Foucher.

Chris is also a former All American swimmer and an experienced professional triathlete with 10 Ironman finishes. His top international finishes include a 2nd place overall finish at the Hawaiian Ironman World Championships, 2nd place overall finish at the Ironman World Championships in Canada, and a 1st place overall finish at Ironman Brazil.

Coach Chris has been a CrossFit athlete since 2008. He is a CrossFit Level 1 trainer, CrossFit Competitor Course certified, Endurance Course certified, CrossFit Mobility certified, Rocktape Doc and Coach at NorCal CrossFit. He currently shares his coaching and endurance methodology through his on-line coaching and his CrossFit Speciality Course: Aerobic Capacity.

To learn more about Chris Hinshaw and the awesome work he does, visit his website Aerobic Capacity (free weekly workouts!) and follow him on Instagram.

@oldman1941 Hey Chris, why should I run to get better endurance rather than row or bike? What are the differences in regards to each exercise and how they effect your endurance.

@lizzylou44 All 3 are good options. We must recognize that all 3 movements are unique and every intensity within that movement is unique. Our body recruits, sequences and fatigues muscle fibers based on these variables. However, I must consider which movement best enables me to maximize their adaptations to most efficiently and effectively enable THEM to reach their goal(s)? I must value and respect their available training time. Assuming a healthy individual without a specific training goal (i.e., general fitness), running has the highest value of time and greatest crossover into functional fitness because you must support your structure (gravity). Rowing, cycling, swimming are all body weight supported movements.

@oldman1941 I want to thank everyone for taking the time to submit their questions. And yes, I promise to answer every question that was submitted within the next day or so. I also want to thank AMA on reddit.com/r/crossfit for the opportunity to share my thoughts, ideas, perspectives on coaching the functional fitness enthusiast.

@oldman1941 How do you think most of the athletes would fair if the 2017 Crossfit Games opened up with a marathon run? Do you think they would be wrecked for the rest of the weekend or be able to still give great performances in the other aspects of crossfit? Which athletes do you think would have no issues with it? Thanks, Chris!

@amaian The very first CrossFit athlete that I was fortunate to Coach with Jason Khalipa. He introduced me to Garret Fisher and Neal Maddox. I had six months to prepare them for the 2013 CrossFit Games. I programmed traditional endurance training that built up their cardio respiratory endurance and muscular stamina so that they all comfortably finished a 20 mile training run 4 weeks before the games. All three dominated in the endurance events that year and permanently changed the sport. That said, 26.2 miles is an extreme and would damage everyone metabolically and muscularly. However, many athletes can comfortably complete 13.1 miles. These athletes have developed significantly greater ability to recover. Camille has been doing 3 hour long run workouts since 2014.

@catrinabrosko This is kind of what I expected. A full marathon would wreck moat games athletes because while they are excellent all atound athletes, 26 miles is an extreme and their bodies would break down. I imagine in her 3 hour runs, camille is only doing about 20 miles at very most. Most likely 16ish miles?

@johnmc21 He was able to do a very long cardio exercise and turn around and be successful on heavy lifts, showing that that kind of games programming would be possible and some would do very well.

@cnsgrl Haha. My bacon cooking skills got a lot of attention during the Road to the Games video highlighting my Cookeville 2017 Athlete Camp. The key to cooking large amounts of bacon is deep frying it in its own grease. The process is very simple but requires a minimum of 2lbs of bacon. The higher the pile of uncooked bacon in the pot makes higher quality cooked bacon because there is more available fat. My record is cooking 10 pounds of bacon in one pot at one time. Turned out beautiful. Cook on med/high heat. The key is patience. You must allow the bacon fat to be cooked. Once the fat settled on the bottom of the pan you don't need to stir it that often. I will also cover the pan if I don't feel like being so attentive. Cooking bacon this way is somewhat dummy proof. My recommendation: Don't overthink it and just go for it!!

@oldman1941 Ah gotcha. I am sure /@cnsgrl meant "Could you give us the specifics of how you boiled bacon in the Road to the Games episode?"

Many of us are curious and my google-fu has yielded no worth while results.

Back