CrossFit Movement Survey Results

Thanks to all who took the survey posted yesterday. I've left it open if anyone else wants to add to the data pool.

The top five hardest rated CrossFit Movements as voted by r/crossfit are:
  • =1: Handstand Walk & Ring Muscle Up
  • 2: Bar Muscle Up
  • 3: Squat Snatch (from the floor)
  • 4: Hang Squat Snatch
  • 5: Strict Handstand Push Up
Some overview analysis in a short presentation online here.

I'll leave the survey open and you can access and download the full dataset from Google Sheets online here.

@iphonetrabaohanh I think your results point out a weakness in your survey that several of us mentioned in your first post: there are movements like strict pull-ups that are hard because someone might not have the body strength--the wide gap between male and female respondents in your results would seem to highlight that.

Then there are moves like squat snatches or even double=unders that are more mobility and technique based.

If you were to redo the survey, you'd want to separate them into two categories--movements that respondents found difficult because they lacked the strength to master them vs movements respondents found difficult because they lacked the coordination/mobility to master them.

Would be interesting to see those results.

@epicpaymentsny Sure do. Easier to throw in hay bales vs. opening every single gate. Probably more of a power though. Also swinging 5 gallon buckets up to pour into the horse's buckets. Maybe that would be considered more a power clean since there's only one gate the bucket goes above my shoulders, unless I stand on the gate too.

I consider throwing bales onto the wagons more of a thruster w/o a full lock out of course. Those are fun days.

@labryan Yeah, no.
That is a) not the most efficient way to get over a wall. For short walls, actually jumping onto the wall is faster, for higher walls, pull-up and roll is way faster and easier on your arms.

b) on a wall, you cannot kip.
c) you can use your feet to push off the wall or fence.

A bar muscle up is great if you need to get onto or over, well a bar...

@mebaby333 As a former military obstacle course athlete and physical educator of soldiers, I don't agree with you at all. Getting over a wall that is low enough to do a step and jump OBVIOUSLY don't warrant muscle ups. That's besides the point.

We also have to look at what we define functional as. Functional movements are movement patterns, not concrete movements. Otherwise we wouldn't be doing any CrossFit movements.

Bar muscle ups are plenty functional and similar to climbing.

@labryan
Bar muscle ups are plenty functional and similar to climbing.

Then we'll have to disagree here.
Unless you do the muscle ups completely strict, they are nothing like getting over a wall, where you can push with your feet and cannot swing under the bar.

Don't get me wrong, if you can do a bar muscle up, you can certainly get up onto a say 3m wall.

It is not the most effective way over is all i'm saying.

@mebaby333 It isn't the most EFFICIENT in almost all cases. Agreed. A step and jump into a 'wall muscle up' is the fastest way to traverse a high wall though, with a leg swing following or simultaneously with the dip to get over the obstacle as low aa possible.

Whether or not it is the most effective is a moot point in a binary context of passing or not passing an obstacle.

@labryan As a former military professional pew pewer, you're fucking retarded. If you stick your full upper body above the fence in a bar muscle up motion, you're asking to get shot in the fucking throat.

@epicpaymentsny Who the fuck said anyone was going to do this in a situation where the enemy could potentially be on the other side and open fire in you?

What is this? Fox News subforum?

@epicpaymentsny A couple of weeks ago. And yes it requires something extremely akin time a muscle up. It isn't the exact same movement because it's done on a completely different implement with no standards for not using a leg to swing over for an example.

But in either case.

Functional is not a synonym of useful, that's a complete misunderstanding.

Functional is as in functional in the context of the human body in its evolutionary context. One of the main drivers of illness is exactly that we engage an environment that is mismatched to our evolutionary functioning.

@epicpaymentsny So because you can't see auto correct when it stares you in the face, nor have any experience maneuvering in the real world - you start flaming?

A wall.

Have you tried to get over a tall obstacle before?

Back