Daughter 7 and son 9 can dead hang comfortably for 3 and a half minutes

@queendream I watched my niece curiously pick up a dumbbell in one hand at about 20 months, it weighed about 1/4 or 1/3 of her total bodyweight. Not extraordinary for a healthy adult, but impressive for a child who's only been using that body a short time.

@rando Adults have more body weight obviously if you have very muscular arms then you'd obviously hang more than 30 seconds

But if someone trains every part of their body legs, torso, belly the muscles add more weight therefore making it harder to hang for longer periods of time

Kids don't have that much body weight nor muscles so they can hang fairly longer than most people can

I weigh around 90Kgs and have fairly good arm muscles
But i struggle just to hang for a minute

My friend who's 78Kgs is slimmer than me and has a bit of a six-pack not that much arm muscles and he hung less than i did

@rando My daughter used to be a monkey bar beast until she broke her wrist. However she just recently surprised us by memorizing 100 digits of pi at 9 years old - it took her an hour and she said it was fun. Finding your child’s super power is wild !

@stevansmith255 Oh my god I remember our math teacher in middle school telling us a technique to memorize a lot of numbers and I remember trying to impress my parents with it. Completely forgot what he said but also lost the ability to... memorize things.

@jeabbott And me, 20 years later...

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama

Haiti, Jamaica, Peru

Republic Dominican, Cuba, Caribbean

Greenland, El Salvador too

edit: wait...fuck, this song came out in 1993, 30 years ago

@stevansmith255 I was a camp counselor and recited the first 25 or 50 in front of some campers and when I recited them a second time on a later date a camper corrected me when I got one wrong - I think he just remembered the correct order from hearing me recite them that one time

@tyronon ... Because you stop. If you carried on doing it through puberty and beyond your strength would increase to cope with your increased bodyweight.... Natural progressive overload.

But I guess most of us start doing other shit in our teenage years and early adulthood.

@misschelseapearl I wish more people had your way of thinking. Love your insight about this subject! Agree or disagree, do you think there should be more of an importance in gym class these days around teaching and developing good climbing technique? If so why do think it is or isn't important in school?

@greter Well when I was at school (a long time ago in the UK) you either played football or rugby did nothing... Strength training or other pursuits just didn't exist in that environment. We definitely need to get better at encouraging physical activity of ANY sort...

@rando That's a solid hang for the kids! Nice work for them! 💪

I think in that video, by the way, they use a different kind of bar and it's kind of harder to hold onto. It rotates.

@rando Yes it’s normal. Monkey Bars were never challenging or considered exercise as a kid, they were just awesome. Now I look at monkey bars like a literal torture device.

Back