Do certain Pilates Moves attribute to more of a boxy figure? Confused!!

@nula thank you for your compassionate response! I really do think everyone is beautiful and genetics play a part, she’s honestly the only model i know/think of.

You are right! only one way to find out, no harm in continuing. thanks again for your kind words. ❤️

@jnicole conceptually, yes you are spot on. but 😅 i think you're underestimating how difficult it is to actually build muscle. also how easy it is to lose.

imo, aim for full body fitness and get your bmi where you want it first. that way you can see your body shape clearly and figure out exactly how to sculpt what you need to for your goals.

@busola48 That makes a lot of sense.. I guess i don’t realize how easy it is to actually build. I’m telling you all i am new and very confused! 😆 and you are right, i should probably practice patience and lose the weight to see what im working with!

@jnicole Your genetics will pretty heavily determine as well how easy it is for you to build muscle in various parts of your body. For example, I've been doing dedicated & consistent weight-based workouts for most of the past year in order to build visible muscle and definition in my legs, but I've always had naturally jacked arms and they immediately start to get bigger upon even just doing a few arm/shoulder focused workouts per month. As others have suggested, it's helpful to start by just establishing a baseline level of fitness. Doing so will help you learn how your body works, and from there it's easier to determine how that aligns with your fitness goals so you can design your routine around what works best for you individually.

@jnicole Pilates is the last thing that would make you look "boxy". Also, seeking inspiration from a someone who represents 0.00-something of the population in terms of genetics is probably not a good idea. Most models don't lift weights and their diets are super strict (and disorderd). You want to be fit, lean and strong, I strongly recommend you look up to people who match that lifestyle.

@clairedet I agree but i don’t know any other model really lol. Like i said on my post, as long as i lose weight to my goal weight 120 and still have SOMEWHAT of a shape haha

EDIT: who are some influencers/models/people i can follow? like ive been saying im super new and im a facebook kind of person and don’t know much about pop culture and influencers.

@jnicole Sorry you're being downvoted OP, reddit sucks.

Toning cones from building muscle and losing enough fat that you feel more firm overall. There's not really a distinction between toning and bulking except I suppose the degree to which you do it.

For what it's worth I have a naturally hourglass build that I've enhanced through lifting. I also avoid oblique work because I did notice that it made my waist less hourglassy. I do traditional ab work though for health and fitness longevity.

@jnicole There's no such thing as toning, unfortunately. It also greatly depends on the type of pilates you do - some of it is more geared towards flexibility, some is more intensive and cardio-based, and some is quite intense - like the reformer pilates. Is there a specific reason you want to do pilates over traditional core workouts?

@gingerjeremy Toning is real, it’s just what we all understand as the combo of losing fat and gaining muscle to create a slim and strong look. People use that term to describe that combo, no harm in using it.

@tabitha007 there is no standard definition of what "toned" means, which is one of the issues with people saying they want to look "toned." Some people just mean thin, some mean thin and a hint of muscle mass (but still under muscled), some mean clearly visible muscle, etc, etc.

@gingerjeremy I’m sorry can you explain? Or share a source? I absolutely was convinced there was! I’ve even seen articles and websites discussing tone versus muscle hypertrophy…. Not saying they’re correct! I’m happy to learn something new.

I believe you, but I’d like to learn more…..my mind has been blown.

@micah888 Pilates is more likely to tone (i.e. not add bulk) because it's not progressive for the most part after an initial plateau.

If you were doing weight flexion/resistance and exercises then you could end up adding more mass to the midsection (think how CrossFit athletes are often more stocky because they have that strong core). But for women this takes a lot of work, high calorie intake, years, and possibly PEDs to really get to this level (for many).

Toning is just fat loss without adding much muscle. Generally, much healthier to add muscle and will lead to a better aesthetic for most. For most women, a mix of weight lifting and some type of cardio is best for long term health outcomes :)

(I personally skip cardio because I'm trying to gain muscle and weight, and I find it hard to eat for cardio.)

@micah888 Achieving an aesthetically toned physique is completely doable - the reason we often say toning is a myth is because a lot of fitness hacks claim to have workouts that will have you achieve that look without doing proper muscle building exercises - think blogilates making circles with your arms type of workouts. Those workouts claim to somehow be able to make you look more fit without muscle gain or fat loss, just basic movements.

Ultimately achieving a toned physique is entirely dependent on where you're starting from and doesn't differ in any way from traditional muscle building/fat loss. Already quite slim, but feeling "flabby" or "skinny fat"? Then the road to toning is good old muscle hypertrophy training. Overweight and looking for a slim fit look? You guessed it: hypertrophic training and calorie deficits will get you there (now in what order and which to prioritize depends on you exact goals as well).

Here is a short post that explains it well.

@gingerjeremy Thank you for educating me! I really don’t know much of this stuff. I just thought it would be easier doing it at home and at my own pace. The gym is really intimidating for me so i try to be in and out.

When I get more comfortable is there any Core/upper body/hips/glutes machine you recommend?

Thanks again!

@jnicole OP, questions like this and thought processes like this are really indicative of controlling issues and eating disorders. I think thats why youre seeing some backlash. Lots of people on a fitness journey have gone through a similar phase like this, focusing on whats vain instead of things like getting stronger, using good form, being able to go longer and harder.

I promise almost any exercise will give you positive results in your body. Pilates is a great way to stay fit. So is cycling, dance, soccer, etc. Just go move. Focus on good form and making your body feel good (not too sore).

@jnicole It's totally ok to start from home! A lot of people do (me included). Hell, you don't ever have to transfer to the gym if you don't want to.

Honestly, more than the specific equipment used, it's the program (+ nutrition/sleep) that makes all the difference. I would really recommend looking for programs that suit your goal and lifestyle rather than worry about what to use :)

Some things to think about when looking for a program:
  • is it suitable for my current level? (beginner, intermediate, etc)
  • is the program's focus in line with my goals? (strenght vs hypertrophy, which muscles are the focus, etc)
  • is the program something I'm likely to actually stick to?
  • do I have, or have access to, the necessary equipment?
  • can I actually fit this program in my routine? (e.g. don't pick a program with 6 days a week if you can only train 4 times, or a program with 2 hour long sessions when you only have 1 hour available)
This sub's wiki has a lot of great programs to choose from!

Back