Do you take Creatine, l-glutamine, and BCAA on rest days?

leorock

How do you vary your intake of each based on your active and rest days? Does this change if you are fasting?

@leorock This is what you do:

Creatine - 5g daily. When doesn't matter.

Beta-alanine - 3-5g daily for a month. Then once weekly as your carnosine levels are now peaked and only need maintaining.

l-glutamine - the hype that existed a decade or two ago has subsided quite a lot. I personally don't use this.

I would not take the above on an empty stomach. It tends to get upset.

@leorock Sorry but BCAAs are bullshit. If you’re eating enough quality protein you’re getting all the amino acids you need.

5g Creatine every. single. day. No loading phase and no cycling on and off. It needs to stay saturated in your system to take effect so taking it every day maintains that bloodstream saturation.

Like the other dude said, L-Glutamine got a lot of hype a few years ago when studies were first coming out, but it’s honestly overrated.

Quality protein, healthy fats, and sufficient carbohydrates alongside enough sleep are honestly the best “supplement” for recovery.

@xavierarr This is the truth right here, BCAA is an industry scam as a “subscription” like service. They know most heavy gym goers will spend $30 on a bottle monthly.

I would also add that taking fish oil is very beneficial as well daily.

@dawn16 True, actual Branch Chain Amino Acids themselves are not bullshit..they are the essential building blocks for the proteins our body relies on for basic functionality. But the supplementation of BCAA through the powders and drinks perpetuated by the fitness industry is simply unnecessary. It’s bullshit in the sense that it’s promoted as something you NEED in addition to a healthy diet and training. It’s not like creatine, which is virtually impossible to get without supplementation. Amino acids are in literally everything. If you feel better sipping on a fruity lil’ cocktail after your workout though, by all means do so. At most you’ll be hydrated but know you’re doing little to nothing in terms of muscle repair and recovery.

@xavierarr Just putting this here

"Creatine can also be located in the diet from milk, steak and some fish. Beef, pork, tuna, salmon, and cod all contain between 1.4 to 2.3 grams of creatine per pound"

@dawn16 I say the supplement itself is actual bullshit. Because if you’re taking BCAAs, that means you’re aware of macros and you’re trying to optimally recover and build. Which means we can assume you’re getting enough protein. If you’re hitting your daily protein intake needs, you’re getting enough BCAAs that your body can use. Which means you would be peeing out the supplement you’re taking making it useless

@leorock
  • 5g of creatine daily.
  • 6g of beta alanine split across two dosages on my workout days.
  • No BCAAs. I only suggest that to my combat athletes and weightlifters when they’re in heavy caloric deficits.

Back