Does anybody else have a certain weight that they get stuck on and it's so hard to break below? How do I get past it?

@yommie I think 133lbs has been the lowest weight I've reached. I'm currently resting in the mid 140lbs (5'2"), and am perplexed by that weight since I don't look as though I've gained weight. I don't measure myself. I know I struggled a bit with "quarantine eating" but I'm not terrible. I workout 5-6 times per week, and eat fairly properly, so I don't fucking know. I don't think I'll ever get below 130lbs.

@yommie I cut alcohol for 30 days and was able to shake my pesky 5lb that I could never lose. Now I have a new number that I get stuck at... might try the alcohol cleanse again!

@yommie Ugh, I’m 42 and the same. I’m totally static at 57-58kg and my ideal (where I feel I look my best) is 54. I know how to get there but, man! I just love carbs and sweets too much :(

So, yeah. It’s not working out, it’s diet that does it, as you probably already know. My advice is to eat cleanly as possible, lower your simple carb, sugar and processed food intake (I’d knock anything ‘packaged’ on the head right away) and you’ll lose the extra couple of kilos fairly quickly.

@yommie I am 5,7 and my body really likes being 130lbs(60kg), after a very stressful time in my life I dropped down to 120 and then stayed there for almost a year. But when things calmed down my weight went back to 130 in like 2months and my diet really didn't change. I look nice at this weight, but have a little more fat than I would like so I have shifted my focus to trying to re comp my body which is going OK. It can be annoying when your body won't really respond to dieting, but it is also nice to know my body doesn't really like to gain weight past this weight either.

@yommie My age and workout routine is basically the same as yours. I weigh 58-59 kg now and am 5’7”. Dropped 1-2 kg over the last 1.5 years without really trying. I don’t have a scale at home but weighed myself at the gym after my clothes stopped fitting. Here’s how:
  1. Apple Watch. Forced me to meet minimum goals every day. I walk more. My husband lost 25 lb when he got his watch.
  2. Alcohol off limits except on the weekend. Empty calories. I often workout in the evening so it just made sense.
Good luck to you!

@yommie My resting point is somewhere between 145-150 lbs. In all the calculus, my "ideal weight" would be about 130-135. I have not in my adult life been that weight, even when I was going through a major depressive bout and self-medicating with hour-long cardio sprints and not eating (that did get me to about 140, though!). If I work out more, I tend to put on more muscle, which then negates any "weightloss" numbers (but does improve my belly numbers).

I figure I could probably get there, but I'd need to substantially change my life to do it: cut out carbs, cut out alcohol, likely kick my 4-day-a-week gym habit to 6, minimum. Being 135 would be nice, but that's not my lifestyle. That said, I am working to get back to 145 rather than the 152 I'm currently cruising at.

@yommie I’m stuck there now! I recently lost about 22 pounds over 6 months doing keto and now I’ve been calorie counting for the past month and lost 0.5 pounds :( I just want to get into the healthy bmi and I’m like 2 pounds away from that. I think my body is just pretty happy at this weight and I know it’s going to take something drastic to lose the last 6 pounds I want rid of.

@yommie I can't get below 160lbs. It doesn't matter what I do. Cut out drinking? 1200 calories per day? An hour on the exercise bike per day? Grain free? Keto? Vegan? Any combo above. Doesn't matter. I know I have thyroid problems, but nothing seems to help. My doctors are at a loss. I don't want to try "extreme" diets, because not only are they unsustainable, but also lead to malnutrition.

I would gladly do higher-strain exercises, but I have terrible joints, and have since I was 12. I can't do weight-lifting or other "dangerous" activities because of said unreliable joints. The risk of injury is too high.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice. Just empathy.

@developer2021 Are you me?

I’ve been reading about lipodema and going down the dr google rabbit hole... we may have some body fat that’s just not readily accessible, metabolically speaking. I’ve always been pear shaped but my leg shape is characteristic of early stage lipodema. Also I have hypermobility and terrible joints.

There’s no good treatment for lipodema but liposuction, maybe low carb dieting, and some dubious snake oil. But our TDEE estimates are way lower than most people’s because that fat doesn’t “count” as weight for caloric considerations, yet there is no way to know how much of your fat is less metabolically accessible

@nikkolai Maybe it's related. Does it develope later in life? I was always super active, beyond advice, growing up, but my joints are degenerative, so they just get worse over time.

@yommie Those last 2 kilos are your life. They're late night eats on the weekend with your S/O, impromptu drinks with your girlfriends, or saying yes to that dessert you weren't planning on having.

Perhaps 61 kilos is just where your body wants to be.

@peace967
Those last 2 kilos are your life.

YUP. I've lost some weight during this terrible pandemic simply because of all the big meals with friends I haven't been able to have. I'm going to try to appreciate that weight more when it comes back now that I've realized what it means.

@yommie The last 5 lbs are always the hardest. And no offense but from your 40s on what you used to do to lose weight and stay muscular is now what you need to do just to maintain.

That, and how tall are you? 134 is a healthy weight if you're taller and 130 might be unrealistic, whereas if you are shorter then it should be doable, just hard.

EDIT: Why the hell am I being downvoted when others are here saying the same thing in different words? /@popikie even pointed out how nearing menopause your hormones make it harder to lose weight- aka in your 40s you need to work harder to lose, like I said.

@angel33babygirl I’m 5’5” so I’m not particularly tall. And I definitely agree with you about age playing a factor. In my 20s I was pretty unhealthy, partied waaay too hard, ate crap or just didn’t eat at all and still looked pretty decent lol
If I was doing this type of exercise back then I probably would have looked like a super model!!!

@angel33babygirl Because people don’t like to admit that they may, at some point in their lives, no longer fit in a box where CICO alone is the lord and savior of losing weight. It’s easy to point fingers till you get in that situation yourself. Don’t let the downvotes get to you. They’ll find out eventually.