Experienced lifters, how much do you b/s/d? Either 1 RM or typical training weights

@frbrian I'm 38, have been lifting for four years, 18 months seriously. Lifts are 1RM.

Bodyweight: roughly 140-145lbs

Height: 5'7

Bench: 150.7

Deadlift: 236.5

Squat: 205.7

@frbrian I’ve been lifting for six years. I previously was running 5/3/1 and I got to 110/200/270 lbs. Then I had a few years in there where I was battling chronic pain and backed off my lifts previously seriously. I am just finishing up running NSuns for a couple of months and I’m currently at 100x3(trying for 105 tomorrow!)/200x2/250x3. I haven’t tested my 1RM.

I’m 34, 5’10”, and 160lbs. I think I need to bulk if I’m going to get better numbers. I want to compete in the spring. My background is as a dancer, so switching over to powerlifting was a whole thing.

@alexhunting Chronic pain is the worst. Good on you for getting back at it though.

Have you modified your lifting at all around your issues? I have spinal arthritis/ tendonitis so I'm always interested in how people manage chronic illness and fitness.

@frbrian It is! It’s so frustrating and exhausting.

I have. When I first got up to those numbers, I did it by ignoring how my body was feeling. So I made some of my problems worse. I had to really drop the weights while I went on a quest of several physical therapists, chiropractors, and bodyworkers to find some relief. I finally landed on a good sports medicine doctor and a really excellent physical therapist. A combination of trigger point injections and cortisone into the joint helped a lot.

Now I just go slower. I tend to skip a lot of especially lower body accessory work in favor of a ton of rehab work. I deload more often. I do breathing exercises even (since part of my pain is related to core stability and a weak diaphragm).

I hope you’re able to find things that help you. Lifting is amazing and can feel really good. But it can also hurt a lot and exacerbate other problems.

@alexhunting Man, a good PT/ sports medicine doctor would be great to have. My issues are autoimmune so I just see a rheumatologist but he doesnt seem to have any knowledge about exercise/ lifting.

I definitely know how hard it can be to respect your body over your ego but it's so worth it! Lifting for long term health for the win.

@ifightforgood I swam competitively in high school. I am also genetically a tank physically - I'm 5'5" and 180 currently and my lightest weight as a quasi adult (in HS / age 16, training 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week) was ~150 - 155#.

@frbrian 4 years lifting but maybe 2 years of actually heavy lifting and I'm at 105/165/250 for reps. Working on my squat presently which is why it's so low compared to my deadlift.

@frbrian After 7 years lifting, at 5'5", 123 lbs.
1rm: 150/200/275 but I haven't been trying hard for a couple years at least and couldn't hit that dead now. I usually just do 3x5 at 115-125 bench/135 squat and rarely DL.