For those of you who don’t belong to a traditional box..

trustlove147

What is your training like? Do you follow a specific program? Program yourself? Have a coach? Genuinely curious how you warriors get after it everyday.

Why I ask is because I recently started the transition to a CrossFit style training approach. My whole life i had trained for football. Played in college, always was focused on heavy and explosive based training. Never a huge emphasis on work capacity. This new style of training has changed my body for the better. I’ve significantly trimmed down (230->195 at 6’1). Kept most of my muscle and am a lot leaner. Most importantly though, I FEEL amazing. This is what being in shape feels like. I have been running a program I found on Tier 3 Tactical and working out solo.

Once gyms come back in full swing, I definitely plan on joining a local box and being apart of this great community :)

@dawn16 CrossFit linchpin and street parking are the top two programs you should check out to get started. Well rounded, well designed, and frequently brutal.

Linchpin’s owner does some/the Masters programming for the Games, and StreetParking’s owner tests it (or - that is how it seems to have worked in a previous year). So they’re not totally disconnected from the competitive side, but they’re not targeting people who want massive amounts of workload.

@trustlove147 I cannot recommend Linchpin enough. It's the best 10.00/mo I spend. Pat programs what's effective, not popular, there are an equal amount of days where I say "that will be terrible," and "that will be awesome." But I cannot deny the increase in my fitness that it's facilitated.

@ronaldfbarry So, Pat posts Linchpin for free on Instagram the night before. 10 bucks gets you the private track on Beyond the Whiteboard. That includes a tailored warmup, rx, scaled, limited equipment, and no equipment variations and a video description for every day plus accessory work and a cooldown. As crazy as it seems he keeps on adding things to it too. There's a private FB group, and I scoffed at first too, but picture FB as it was intended, a good place with good people, and that's what's in that group. It's pretty nice to network with fellow garage athletes.

There's also loads of built in programs on btwb you'll get access to. To me the data I can log and look back on is awesome, I wish I'd been using btwb since I started CF in late 2012.

@stephanieks I did not know all this. I see his posts on insta and really appreciate the tone he takes with his results. FitnessWasAchieved indeed.

To answer the OP, I had been part of traditional CrossFit gyms for 6 years until the pandemic shut us down and decided, for a few reasons, not to return. I put together a home gym and follow a mix of Street Parking, Comptrain, and Wendler's 531 plus movement-specific programs from WODPrep.

@trustlove147 I do Street Parking in my third story apartment. The apartment complex gym cut to a tenth of what it was due to covid and only allows 4 people at a time for something like 2000 residents.

Ive got a handful of dumbbells , a kettle bell, jump rope and two brute force sandbags that I use outside. The programing is super flexible and they offer loads of subs for just about every level of home gym. Along with the typical functional fitness, they also have olympic lifting, power lifting, gymnastics, and sandbag specific weekly programs.

The community is also one of the key things with SP, you instantly get access to an incredibly diverse group of people on different sages of their fitness journey. Ive met a bunch of friends on there from around the globe, and we all suffer through the WODs together.

@dayboivietnam I’m following street parking too. I have 3 sets of dumbbells, a few kettle bells, a jump hope and I splurged for rower at the beginning of lockdown. I work out in my tiny unfinished basement.

I’d love to get to a box but money is tight, I’m a single mom of two small kids, work full time, and just graduated school. I had no time and now during the pandemic, this just makes.

I’m not as into the community aspect but I love there is so many options to get the work done with whatever equipment you may or may not have.

@dayboivietnam
/streetparking

I also do Street Parking -- I find there is enough variety that I can always make the workout work based on what equipment I have. They do a Program A, B, C and Shift, which is essentially modified based on what equipment you have access to. It's not the same as in person CrossFit classes, but it is by far the best thing I've found that is not going in person to a gym.

@tigerryan Also do Street Parking here. I can’t recommend it enough. From top to bottom, it’s class programming, class people, and a really good online community if that matters.

@trustlove147 i have a pretty complete full gym.

I follow street parking and sometimes mix in other stuff former CF gym friends send me that they're doing so we can see who can best who...

@trustlove147 Honestly I'm not a fan of most crossfit group programming.

Group programming is great for selling memberships and keeping casual folks funding the business.

What I love about crossfit is how it, at the source, incorporates multiple modalities and time domains to make the fittest athlete possible. "Fitness" being a relative term defined by Crossfit to measure Crossfit athletes.

What does that mean for me? I want to have good cardio, good gymnastic ability, and be good at the classical olympic lifts.

So this is a long post to say - depends on your goals. If your goal is simply to get generically fit in a one size fits most program, pay for a generic box monthly program.

Otherwise, if you have actual goals, work directly with a coach or take the time to learn how to program "crossfit" and apply it to your training

A good crossfit program includes - warm ups/mobilizing/activation, followed by some skill or strength and then likely a metcon/wod.