Getting super fatigued after personal training?

@worshiper1994 I would say moderate to low carb. Not keto, though I used to be (hard to maintain, especially since my husband doesn’t like it). I very rarely eat starchy pastas or bready foods. If I eat carbs it’s usually from veggies or beans/legumes. I usually avoid sugar but I’ve had some seasonal treats lately!

@worshiper1994 I don’t think I hit a wall often. More like toward the end of the hour session I’m tired and I’m hitting sets to near failure? That seems reasonable to me though.

I don’t usually eat anything before. It’s probably an anxiety excuse because I had a bad experience puking before a morning run once when I ate before. After I usually have a protein shake with frozen blueberries, protein powder, almond milk, and nut butter. Or I’ll have some meal with eggs or decent protein.

@countrygurl32 So, your body's choice macro to make energy for the body to move and perform exercise are carbs.

You carry carbs in your muscles, blood, and liver. As you workout, you deplete these carbs as you make energy. You have a finite amount of them on hand, and while fat is also an energy source, it actually takes your body a long, long time to utilize it. Once your carb source starts to run low, your body starts to restrict your muscles, a bit, because your brain also needs carbs to function. It is higher on the hierarchy than your muscles.

In order to have a second session, you need to restock you body with these carbs that it just ate up in your workout. Your body is low on it's primary fuel source to perform any kind of movement.

Now, in terms of macros, there are carbs, but there are also FAST digesting carbs and SLOW digesting carbs. Rice cakes and gummy bears book it to your blood stream, fast, and replenish those carb storage banks well.

Slow digesting carbs can take a while to get there. Fruits, veggies, etc.

Additionally.

Fats and fibre ALSO slow digestion.

So if you are in a state, where your primary fuel source is low, and then you are eating your first meal after exercise to replensih yourself, that is a bit high in fibre (blueberries and fruit), and fat (the nut butter), you might be feeling tired.

NOW.

This might not be why you're feeling tired. But it is something to consider. Rice cakes should sit well, and could help you a lot having them an hour prior to working out (hate to give advice like this, out of my scope, but if you're feeling so low, it could be worth a low risk try).

I am just giving a sparknotes version of this wonderful teacher's hour long lecture.

Please watch if you want a more in depth understanding

@countrygurl32 You might want to consider more carbs if you're doubling up. Keto is a bad fad diet, good choice by the hubby.

On top of carbs, make sure you're getting enough protein. At 135 and 5'8 you're quite tiny still and I would guess what you have gained is mostly muscle. I went from 108 to 120 with no diet changes and it was all muscle - and I'm only 5'3. So you're roughly 5kg more than but a hella lot taller. You'd be model thin I'm sure. I don't think you'd have "covid weight" to lose.

And you should probably give the doubling up a miss. What type of classes are you doubling up?

@lifeingrey Well I tried it many years ago for my mental health and it felt like it was helpful at the time. But that was also when I was living by myself. I don’t even try now because keto done badly is definitely worse. But I just generally don’t like eating a lot of pasta or bready foods anyway.

Idk if there was a typo somewhere but I’m currently 153 lbs not 135. However I was 135 when I was a teenager and in college when I was thinner but still pretty lean and muscular (and close to model measurements, yes). After graduating, starting an office job, getting married, and changing birth control all at the same time right before the pandemic I gradually gained more weight. I was around 140 at the start of this year.

@countrygurl32 I probably read it wrong. 153 seems like a healthy weight still for 5’8. It is normal to gain weight in your 20s as your body changes and so does your lifestyle. I would focus on what your body looks like over the scales. You can gain weight but your measurements can easily change differently.

@jonbradford ImThis was my thought too. If you haven’t lifted weights much in the past, doing so now will make you sore and exhausted. I only had weird pins and needles feelings and the Jimmy legs at night. This also explains the weight gain due to muscle development.

@pristinegraceca Hmm, interesting point. It’s not like excessive soreness or anything (that was only the week or two I first started). It’s more like I’m getting sleepy and unmotivated. The type of exhaustion that makes you fall asleep rather than just veging out on the couch, if that makes sense. Like lying down and almost instantly crashing asleep.

This happens sometimes the rest of the week also, so not exclusively on personal training days but those days are usually included.

@countrygurl32 As someone with (late diagnosed) AHDH, Autism...
(And considering how common late diagnosis is and the fact that this is xxfitness)

Some of the most exhausting/draining days have been when I have been doing personal training/small group fitness stuff...

Eventually I figured out it's not the training it's the human interaction & smalltalk during the training sessions...
Spending an hour being a "socially acceptable human" was/is my exhausting than exercising am hour 😅

Back