Guys w/ giant legs, any tips on pants and underwear?

jacob98

I've been CrossFitting for many years now (just got my L2), but one issue I've always had is that my legs have always been big, but CrossFit made them ENORMOUS. I have a pretty tiny waist (usually 30"-31"). This has made buying pants very difficult. After going through literally the entire mall, I found exactly one cut of Lucky Jeans that fit me. I now have a closet full of them.

However, now I'm having trouble with underwear. I usually wear boxer briefs, and while I prefer lycra or microfiber for the gym, I tend to prefer cotton on my rest days. Trouble is, the brand I've been buying is now pretty tight at the leg holes. I tried buying size L instead of M, but the main fabric around the ass and crotch is so loose, it feels like old ladies' bloomers.

Anybody else have this problem? Any tips or preferred brands they can share? Thanks!

@jacob98 My dude. Here’s what I’ve found after 12 years of CrossFit and large legs with a smaller waist.
For reference 5 foot 9 and I weigh between 215-230 depending on the time of the year.

Jeans.

LLbean flex straight. 10/10 Perfect fit through and through. Spandex built in, small gusset solid fit. Available in 5 washes and reasonably priced. And you can find a store near you (hopefully ) and try them on.

Fran Denim 6/10 limited stock for men, good fit. No discounts at the time, haven’t bought them in years though and not even sure if they’re still around .

Prana- don’t know which ones I own, and I ripped the tags off , but they’re one of my go to jeans. They have them at REI so you can actually try them on in person. 8/10

Vertex (tactical company) 8/10 they have a solid fit, but may look a little too baggy on you depending on how thicc you are. If your bigger than me then these will fit well. They don’t have the washes I like only dark colors.

Jaxon Jovie 7/10 fit. A little too tight on my calves but they fit everywhere else perfectly. Solid gusset and available in light washes . I think they’re still in Biz.

Levis stretch straight (can’t remember the name)- 4/10 will never buy again.

Devil dog Denim. - 2/10 poor fit, wash colors are off, looks like I’m wearing jeans from Walmart that are 3 sizes too big. (Apologies for anyone who buys jeans from Walmart )

Wrangler stretch- good fit 4/10 wore through them in three months, quads were a little tight and rubbed on inside of thighs until holes wore through.

Viktos- multiple different types. I’ve only had one and I can’t remember which ones , but they were my #3 for a while before I lost them. They fit well, had enough room , and had some extra hidden pockets but still looked professional. It’s been a while but I’d say 8/10

More “tactical “company’s are coming out with jeans and they’ll typically have a larger gusset more spandex and a better fitting quad area for you.

Pants
Lulu ABC
686 everywhere pants (expensive )
No luck with KUHL, north face , Eddie Bauer, or EMS. My legs are just too big for them.
10,000 gear pants- just got a pair , I really seem to like to them so far . Ripped them at work (my fault not the pants) good stretch hood gusset - about $100 for a pair.

Undies - I have an entire book to write on these. More to follow in the next couple days.
UNDIES
So let me preface with I’m not happy with any pairs yet. I’ve tried about 10-12 different pairs and am not sold on any of them except the old LULU’s . But those are discontinued so I digress.

Lulu always in motion- 6/10 modal fabric is nice , they ride up on me often, and I’m not super impressed with the price point.

Underarmour boxer jock- 7/10 they don’t ride as much, the material seems to hold a stench so I find myself ditching them annually. Not bad when you snag them in 2 and 4 packs.

Stance Boxer brief - cotton spandex blend. 6/10 they bunch and pull up.

Jockey- 1/10 had to buy a pair when I was traveling rapidcool i think they were called.z - they were the worst..

Pair of theives - gimmicky- 5/10 pulled up and bunched , not impressed.

Ex officio- I had a pair and I seemed to like them, but I remember the price point being like $35 and that seems out of my range at the time.

Battle Briefs- not the worst not the best. 7/10 Could be better with more spandex at the leg to hold them down.

NIKE boxer briefs. Gotta check the name , I liked them as much as the underarmour, for sure a 7/10 . They rode up a little but for the

Most part they were solid. I’m going to try the modal ones next.

I’m sure I’ve tried others. I’ll keep adding to this list over time.

Sorry it’s late and I’m tired apologies for any spelling errors and what not. I’ll try and edit this post tomorrow. Hope this helps.

@rrf07170 This list is BANG ON! Thanks for creating it!

Add to this list for jeans: Lucky brand has a wide leg jean that is comfortable and narrow waisted. 31/32 waist and ~30-inch quads and they fit real good on me. Can be found at many malls.

And for underwear, the best bang/buck I've found are the Jockey RapidCool boxer briefs. You can get them in Amazon for about $20 each, and they stay on, don't cut off circulation to the legs and fit my waist. Size L.

@rrf07170 Levi 541 are solid. Not sure if this is what you were referencing but they have wider thighs tapered to the ankle and plenty of stretch. Def recommend

@novihartanti My dark wash are flexible enough and fit well enough to where I can do full splits, for context Ive been doing taekwondo for 3 1/2 years now and my thighs are monsters, for context I have a 32 inch waist and I’m 5’10. Also definitely looking for advice on boxer briefs so please let me in on the secret, I don’t chafe but I sweat a lot and when it bunches up I sweat a lot from my inner thighs and I’m tired of hiding around a corner and adjusting myself 😂

@rrf07170 Ill start with underwear. 255 lb, 36-38 waist, thigh circumference 27.5 inches. Obviously depending on how youre made down below, ymmv. price in USD below.

All citizens athletic fit boxer brief: 3/10. ~ 19 a pair. Company is absolutely phenomenal. I did their fit question test and selected "thicker than your average" for thigh size, they recommended size large athletic fit brief. Packaged super nicely, fabric is really nice however when I put them on, the opening was laughably small. I popped the bottom hems on both sides as I slid them up. they didnt ride up at all but they also cut off circulation to my lower legs lol. Found out their size large athletic fit was made with leg openings for around 23-25 inches. Talked with customer service and I decided to try the regular boxer instead of brief because im so thick. The pouch is friggin amazing though and is the reason why im trying a regular boxer. It positions the twig and berries out in front rather than in between your legs and that is literally a game changer. Will report back once I have boxers in hand.
**update. Nope. Their regular boxers are like a pair of underwear that you’ve had forever and are stretched out. Good quality but not good for CrossFit at all.

Saxx: 5/10. ~25-30 a pair, cheaper if you buy multi packs. All in all, their fit is pretty good. their ball park pouch is nice, prevents batwing for sure. Had Saxx for the longest and after washing for around 8 months, their fabrics started get get stretched out and the pouch became annoying. Definitely just threw them in the wash and didnt follow directions so im mostly to blame on that front. Their mesh style ones dont ride up too bad but will ride up if youre doing a wall ball/run heavy workout. General leisure underwear is great, meh for crossfit

32 degrees: 7/10. if they had a pouch, theyd be my go to for sure. They dont ride up, are barely noticeable and are very cheap at costco or their online sales.

Underarmour boxerjock: 7/10. like the 32 degrees, if they had a pouch, id buy all of them. They dont ride up at all either and you can snag some good sales if you keep an eye out.

Hanes with the comfort pouch: 2/10 ~18 for 3 pack. The pouch is small for me and therefor does nothing cause half the time I fall out. Fabric is nice cooling mesh though.

Lulu performance briefs and compression: ~50 a pair, and can fuck right off.

still searching for the perfect thicc boi pouch inclusive underwear thats crossfit proof but until then, Im 32 degrees, UA boxer jock for right now.

@innas Free Fly apparel boxers are pretty good imo. Pricey but worth it for me. I work at a desk and on construction sites. I also wear them working out and haven’t ripped as of yet (got first two pairs in may) which is new

@innas Dumb question here but where are you measuring your thigh? Half way between the knee and hip? Or higher up? I’m a 26 at that point and am trying to find a new company to go with. All of mine ride , at my thickest point my quads are 28.5 inches I typically size my jeans between 35/36 in the waist .

@rrf07170 Good list, the only one I see missing is Barbell Apparel who do athletic fit jeans (similar to Fran Denim).

I have the same issue as OP, 30" waist and big quads. I've had luck with brands like Salvage (from Buckle) if I go for the 'relaxed fit & performance stretch' styles.

@jacob98 I swear by 32 Degree, relatively cheap at costco and rarely rides up for me. Pants wise Lululemon's straight fit for both the ABC and Commision pants have been great (expensive though)

Back