HEY, EVERYONE! November is here and it's PULL-UPS MOTIVATIONAL MONTH! Join us today!

@kaki What works for me is this: do 6 or 7 pullups the first sets, on the last one go to failure. If you can do 1-2 reps more than the previous sets, you can add a rep to them.
For example from 6-6-7 you go to 6-6-8 and then 7-7-7, 7-7-8, 7-7-9, 8-8-8.

@kaki What works for me is finding the number of reps that make me fail in the last set. Then give it a few weeks until I can finish all sets. Then add one rep or two until I fail the last set

Edit: this will make the first and second sets very easy, but that is what you want. In those first and second sets, focus on explosiveness. Then just try to keep a good form. Also, you can finish your sets with negatives to max the gains

@kaki Kind of. Ideally you should fail by two or three reps.

So start, 2-2-2-2-2. Very easy I guess (stop there, take it slow)

So next time, 3-3-3-3-3? Maybe you just pull 3-3-3-3-2.

At this point you wont be able to do 4-4-4-4-4, trust me. So choose the easy road or the harder, what suits you. And do that two or three times a week until you can finish all sets.

Again, if you reach 4-4-4-4-4, it is very likely that you can't do 5-5-5-5-5, you will 99% fail the last set. So keep that 5.

Then 6.

Then, you know how it goes.

This worked for me up until 5-5-5-5 just because I'm a 4 set guy, I take this slooooow. Even 3 sets are enough for me

@rdmarita Boom! This doesn't need my feet, so I'm in!

STATS: male, 34yo, 5'10", ~178lbs.

My level: I'm been training informally for a year and a half or so. I have plateaued here:
  • 3x8 bar pull-ups.
I've also played around with alternative grips and can consistently do 6x4 of any of these:
  • baseball-grip pull-ups
  • ring false-grip pull-ups
  • towel pull-ups
  • wrist pull-ups
My limitations: I've had mild golfer's elbow for a few months now. I've been using a therabar, and it may be getting better. Still, it presents at least a mental block against pushing myself too hard. Also, I have a broken foot but that shouldn't matter for pull-ups.

Goals: Not yet decided. Maybe one of these:
  • Breaking my plateau.
  • 3x8 L-sit pull-ups.
  • Ring false-grip non-kipping muscle-up (most excited by this one).

@missj What helped me breaking my pull-ups plateau was increasing volume by adding an extra set and lowering the reps in each set.

So if you can't budge from 3x8 you could try 4x6 and working up from there.

Drop sets seem also to helpful, I've started trying that just lately and hoping to see results myself!

Also, consider a deload week if you haven't done that lately. It usually really helps.

PS: pull-ups are pretty intensive, so if you haven't already check with your doctor if it's okay to work through your injury or if it would be wiser to take a rest. Tendonitis can be a real bitch to shake off.

@rdmarita Been training for 4 years now. Current level of pulling strength:
  1. OAC: two reps on the left side and one for my right side.
  2. Front lever: 15s max on my best days.
  3. Muscle-ups: 3 strict FG on a bar.
  4. Normal pullups: 15 and my plan for this month is to improve them.
I'm starting to feel bored with learning skills, so I plan to regress my FL to half lay, put the OaC on maintainence, and see how my strength will carryover to endurance in pullups.

I never use weighted pullups because I simply don't have enough weight. My plan is to double my normal pullup max to above 20 by the end of this month. I'll also be using normal horizontal rows as burnout and warmup sets while I put the rest of my time to other skills on the floor.

@rdmarita Yes! Getting more pull ups is my number one goal, so perfect timing! I got my first pull-up this week, and I'm currently still at 1 pull up or 2 chin ups. By the end of the month, my goal is to be at 3x3 pull-ups and 3x5 chin ups. Let's get it!!!

@rdmarita yessss pull ups are LIFE!

I'm female, 176cm, 65kg. Can currently do 12 consecutive pullups, and my 1RM for weighted is 20kg (can do 10kg x 5 reps)

Been seriously training pullups maybe a year?

Goals:
1. 30kg pull up
2. 15 consecutive pullups
3. abs to bar pullups (Explosive strength power!!)

@rdmarita 4 years training. Got up to +160lbs at 205lbs bodyweight or so. Probably now around +145 max if I had to guess. Focusing more on my front lever and iron cross work but still supplementing vertical pulling. Hit 3x8 with 50lbs easily recently pronated even though I always trained neutral. Now mostly with rope climbs. Here is my most recent rope climb:

Would like to just improve my rope climb and make the climb and eccentrics more controlled.

@rdmarita I am doing foot supported pull ups even tho I can do 3x8 hollow body pull ups. My goal is 3x30-40 reps that way, and being able to hold maximally retracted scapula at the top of a regular pull up. In other words, being able to hold chest to bar position. I am in!

@rdmarita Has anyone else done the Russian Fighter Pull Up Program? I started out at 5/4/3/2/1 and now I'm up to the section that starts with 8 reps (8/7/6/5/4, etc) but I max out at 7 on the first set. So I have to take a short break, do the 8th rep, and then continue with the remaining sets. Is it ok to take a break in order to finish the reps in that set? Or should I drop back down to the section that starts with 7 reps so that I can do all reps within a set continuously?

@shepherd88 I did it and eventually plateaued. Now I just do the pullups every 2-3 days rather than the 5 on 1 off. After about 8 weeks I can do 7-8-8-7-7. I started being able to do 5-4-3-2-1 - the same as you. I couldn't keep up with the program but I'm still very happy with the progress I've made - I've more than doubled the amount of pull ups I can do across 5 sets.

@rdmarita wish I didnt fuck my teres major. I had 60 kg pull up and full front lever one week then next week I cant do any bodyweight pulling exercise

@rdmarita I've been having a hard time motivating to keep up with the RR, I'm only doing it once every couple weeks these days... I'll try to pick up the pace and see what happens. It's so hard to fight laziness.

@theastimani Mate, I know what that’s like. The hardest thing to do is the first rep. But it gets easier the more you do it.

If you’re really struggling with genuine laziness, and not something more serious, then save yourself all the extra effort of starting all over again every couple of weeks and try and do something every day. Not the full routine maybe, but half of it. It’s easier! Less effort, easier to stick to, and when you see results, more motivating! EDIT: If not half of it, then just do the warm up and stretches. They’re great on their own anyway.

Then when you have a routine and the energy and you realise you like it, treat yourself to doing the RR as suggested.