How do I get a physique like this?

cici1234

Hey guys, I’m very new to fitness and am looking for advice.

Currently, im 24, 5’9”, and I weigh 132 lbs. While I’m pretty low weight, I’d consider myself skinny fat - zero ab definition with a soft/flabby stomach.

Ideally, I’d like to have a physique like the following images:

https://pin.it/2Ybks9z

https://pin.it/6xZY6Ep

https://pin.it/4p7UDKg

To me, it doesn’t look like they have much muscle - they’re just very defined, and that’s what I’d prefer. I like the skinny toned look much more than any sort of bulk/muscular appearance.

I just started working out this week and am doing 3 full body workouts weekly. Additionally, I’m eating 2000 calories a day (which is challenging for me, it feels like a lot) and getting at least 132 grams of protein.

What can I do to get that look? Am I on the right track? Should I be eating more/less?

Thanks for your advice! I just wanna look better for myself and for my girlfriend.

EDIT: Just wanted to post a quick follow up!

Starting to see progress - most notably in the abs. I’m not lean/ripped by any means, but my abs are becoming more prominent overall.

Strength gains are going well! I’m sure it’s newbie gains, but seeing the weights increase has been an awesome motivation.

I think once I’m happy with my leanness, I’ll probably increase my caloric intake and start to gain a little weight.

That’s all, just wanted to thank everyone for the advice!

@hsong Good to note! I’m very inactive - im a copywriter and work from home, and my friend group is not active at all (at least not in a group setting.)

Guess it might be time to start getting into a physical hobby and get out of the apartment more!

@cici1234 This look is incredibly achievable, especially given that you're basically already at the right weight for it.

You could do anything from lifting weights to get stronger to body weight training to just rock climbing, though lifting weights will always be the fastest and easiest way.

The only trick is to avoid eating in a surplus. A surplus is required to gain weight, which would be counter-productive to your specific goal. You're just looking to gain enough lean mass to look good at a fairly light weight, which you can do by just eating at maintenance.

@cici1234
getting into a physical hobby

Check out Antranik here in reddit. Chris Heria on YouTube too. A consistent routine, is far more effective, than a hobby.

More importantly Nutrition. Getting that lean requires consistency, in what you’re putting into your body.

Godspeed and good luck!

@cici1234 Buy a pull up bar for your doorway and just do one everytime you walk through.

Stop drinking booze. The alcohol doesn’t help the extra belly.

Also, we love you just the way you are. Don’t change anything. 😘

@cici1234 You're getting a lot of uninformed advice here. Definitely do not eat less than you are now. Your BMI is on the low side but still within healthy range. If you drop your weight lower than this, you'll have problems.

The recommended protocol for skinny fat is to eat at maintenance for 6 months, keep protein intake high, and train hard the entire time to pack on the muscle. Skinny fat is a result of having little to no muscle so that's priority #1.

How you train is up to you but following some sort of premade strength training program that has progressive overload built in to it will lead to the best results. I wouldn't recommend beginners to come up with their own routine as then it'd just be guesswork.

After 6 months, you can reevaluate. If you are fine with how your body is progressing, then keep doing what you're doing. If you still have more bodyfat than you'd like, normally you'd do a slight calorie deficit while still maintaining high protein to help drop the fat. However, since you're nearly underweight, what I would advise instead is to bulk up for a bit to give you some more leeway before cutting.

@married1988 Thanks man, that’s a lot of helpful and practical advice! I really appreciate it.

Currently im doing a premade full-body routine, I wouldn’t trust myself to design my own lol.