How do y’all eat so much protein?

@kim2116 Why do you need 135g of Protein per day?

1g per Kg of BW is what you need to maintain
1.5g per KG of BW will help you gain muscle.

Are you 222lbs or 300lbs?

@dawn16 It’s what my trainer suggested. But honestly, it doesn’t feel right to me. I’m a 155lb 5’7” woman (goal weight is 145lbs, I’m in no hurry to reach it) and the amount of protein I’m eating now was more than enough when I was swimming 3 hours a day or hiking 15+ miles a day and climbing regularly. I’d only get cravings for meat on hikes longer than a week.

I’m not bodybuilding or trying to bulk, but I’ve also never lifted or even used a gym before. I’m pretty sure I’m still in the “will get muscle by breathing the same air as a barbell” stage in my lifting journey.

@kim2116 Well gaining muscle will allow you to be 155lbs an still look like the 145lbs you are after. I would stick to 1g per 1Kg of BW. Nothing against your trainer but rule of thumb is you never cross metric and standard measurements. That's call Bro Science.

@dawn16 My goal WAS 135. The 145 is based on the fact that my weight’s gone up since I started gaining muscle. (It was dropping while I gained muscle, but I had a month where I was still going to the gym but walking much less. The walking seems to be where I drop fat, since gym time just encourages me to eat more lol. The weight I gained is definitely muscle weight, but overall fat stayed about the same.)

I’m a climber, so gaining TOO much muscle mass is actually a bad thing. But mostly I’m just trying to eat healthy and feel good, and if my body stabilizes at 155 I’m not gonna stress about it.

@kim2116 Eat more protein man. Idk I don’t think it’s hard. Eating chicken, beef, fish.. if you can eat 2 servings at a time of one of those and do that 3 times that’s 120 plus grams of protein

I’m an idiot lmao but they make a lot of super high vegetarian stuff now a days that honestly doesn’t taste bad at all. My apologies of not reading the entire post. But there really is a lot of super high protein options for vegetarians

@dawn16 Lol it’s all good! I’m mostly curious if folks who hit those high-protein goals do it without supplementing or not. I’ve been considering adding protein powder to the mix, but since I feel good and I’m not at a plateau I keep going back and forth on if it’s worth it? I can easily get 20-30g of protein a meal, but it’s hard to fathom getting more than that without hugely increasing the number of calories I eat… without also supplementing.

@kim2116 Yeah you definitely need protein powder to help you if you’re vegetarian. It’ll be tough otherwise. I’m meat eater and have whole foods and chicken, salmon etc with most meals but supplements are required. However if you have fish with at least two main meals that’ll make a dint.

Also, I know people say 100g is probably enough, don’t listen. I used to think that but I managed to double my intake to 200g a day and my muscle development increased very quickly and a lot more easily. More protein absolutely helps if you train hard and you get more bang for your buck.

@kim2116
I’m supposed to be at 135g a day, and I can’t seem to swing more than 75-80, and that takes work. Is it possible without protein powder? Or is that the go-to?

This is meme.

You need 1-1.2 g / kg of lean body mass a day. For most men, that's 60-100g and most women is 50-85.

Edit: JFC you people are brainwashed by people on gear.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK56068/table/summarytables.t4/?report=objectonly

The unhealthy part about overloading on protein, particularly if one is trying to control their weight via calorie restrictions, is that it results in eating too much saturated fat and too few fruits, vegetables, and starch. You should have 5 servings of fruit (note that a typical sized apple or banana is 1.5-2 servings, yay GMOs!) and 5 servings of vegetables a day. Cutting out these energy sources makes people feel hungry, weak, and fatigued, which leads to relapsing on bad habits.

The American diet is naturally very fat and protein dense, and the vast majority of people don't need to make adjustments to get more protein. They do need to make adjustments to eat more fruits / vegetables while cutting down saturated fat and table sugar. Business owners in the fitness and diet industry know this, so they're pitching a diet plan where "you can eat all the meat and cheese you want! Just cut the carbs!" No.