How do y’all eat so much protein?

@leightonh Well..

These amounts of protein you shared are the bare minimum required to prevent a protein deficiency, not what you need for proper protein synthesis, muscle gain, satiety, weight management, and glycemic control.

And since this is a fitness-thread on Reddit, she needs more than that bare minimum.

@music2jesus
These amounts of protein you shared are the bare minimum required to prevent a protein deficiency

No, they're not. They're recommended allowances and there is wiggle room on both sides.

The medical community recommends 56g for men and 46g for women.

1 g/kg will get you significantly more than that. 135g is excessive for most people, and particularly for a woman.

@leightonh Probably enough for the average American, who is most of their life sitting on a chair at work or at the couch watching Netflix.

But you do you!

I'll hit the weight room, eat my excessive amount of protein, build some muscle and be healthy.

@kim2116 I added links above if you want reputable sources.

There's no reason for a woman to eat 135g of protein unless she is on roids. A high protein diet would be 80-100g.

@kim2116 I am supposed to eat 221 grams of protein per day

Egg whites/egg beaters, turkey bacon 1-2 protein shakes each day. Tuna or salmon for lunches. Chicken or beef. Fish/shrimp

I don’t usually get that much but I usually get at least 180 grams or so.

I am dairy free so have to use vegan protein powder or shakes.
It is challenging to eat big numbers without being vegitarian. Have u considereed eggs. Cage free chickens…..they lay no matter what and nothing is dying if they weren’t fertilized.

@kim2116 I’m at 135 grams before I leave work to go train. I drink a shake because it’s convenient and I’m cutting, but when I have more calories and higher carbs and fats I hit 180g a day easily without supplements.

@kim2116 Average day for me:

-post AM workout shake 35g protein

-snack: Greek yogurt 12g protein

-lunch: salad with 4oz chicken and peanuts added in: 40g protein

-snack: 2 or 3 babybel cheeses with crackers and fruit 8-12g protein

-dinner: 6oz chicken breast with whatever veggies/carbs I’m craving ~45g protein

You can sub the chicken for tofu or fish but you’re going to need some solid protein sources. I used to be veggie as well and I actually never craved chicken until I started lifting weights. During the day, my rule is I can snack as much as I want as long as the snacks have some protein.

@kim2116 Lentils and rice is your answer (or any beans & rice, really). Lentils are high in protein and fiber. If you mix them with rice, you get a "complete protein". We make them with some diced up veggies and Indian spice mix. So damn good.

@kim2116 I manage about 230g within 1500 calories a day. usually use food high in protein low in fat and a protein shake and protein bar. my meats are mostly tuna, steak and chicken and fish with whote rice, veggies, etc

@kim2116 For building muscle protein intake is very important. Your current intake is insufficient. As vegetarian it shouldnt be hard to get enough. Greek yoghurt or low fat quark have high protein content.

@kim2116 Hi! Your friendly neighborhood personal trainer here! Info: how do you know you’re supposed to be eating 135g protein per day? Where did that number come from?

@kenanga It was the number my trainer came up with in the diet she put together. Which I promptly dismissed as unrealistic and have not been following lol. I posted after seeing others on this sub mention similar numbers for women of my weight and was pretty “wtf?” Cos I 1) am skeptical I need that much protein, since I feel good and am making progress and 2) don’t think I could hit those numbers without eating WAY too many calories, unless I used a protein shake.

@kim2116 Ok, here’s the ACSM formula: take your weight in kg and multiply by .8 to get the recommended grams of protein per day. That’s a minimum. If you workout, then you could go up to weight in kilos times 1.2. Only athletes who are training every day or multiple times a day should eat as many grams of protein as their weight in kilos times 2. Since I don’t know how much you weigh, you can plug and play this formula. Also, they do make vegan protein powder, made from pea protein so keep that in mind. The chocolate stuff is pretty good. Hope this helps a bit! Good luck 🍀