how do you manage stress in ways that aren’t exercise??

porcelainrose

hi everyone! LONG time lurker, first time poster :) i hope this is okay for a standalone post—happy to move it if not! i know this is ultimately a fitness community so asking about stuff outside of that might seem weird here, but this particular fitness community is the one i feel closest to and most trusting of for this question

@porcelainrose Try some sort of artsy thing, whether it’s a craft like knitting or scrapbooking, or more fancy art like painting or photography.

I work in an art museum and can personally tell you how much people’s mood can shift once they come through our doors. Just sit on a bench and look at a painting (or sculpture or whatever). If you have museums that are open in your area (some aren’t because of the pandemic), I would give them a chance.

@porcelainrose Hi! I am late to this thread but I hope you still see it, OP - I just read a book with my therapist that I think could help you. It's called Burnout by Emily and Amelia Nagoski. In the book they talk about how women (although tbh I feel like this applies to most people) tend to deal with STRESSORS effectively, but then we don't effectively deal with the STRESS RESPONSE in our bodies. Their book is all about healthy ways to complete that stress response and general tools you can apply to your own life to help. Spoiler alert, one of the methods suggested is exercise, but they also provide alternative ideas you could use to supplement your physical activity as well. I know this is a painful cycle to get stuck in and I found the book incredibly validating and helpful - hope it helps you and anyone else who might see this!

@porcelainrose Your relationship with working out is extremely relatable! I had an injury earlier this year (from over-exercising) and couldn’t work out for a couple months at all (could barely walk for a couple weeks). I felt like I lost who I was- I had become totally dependent on working out.

To answer your question, though, I went back to the hobbies I had before working out became my personality. Doing DIY projects and reading more helped me feel more like myself/ got my mind off everyday stresses.

@porcelainrose Not sure if this will help or not, but here are some things that I like to do to manage my stress:
  • make daily to-do lists
  • face masks!
  • light candles
  • practice self-care in general
  • listen to music (whatever I’m feeling at the time)
  • call family
  • treat myself to a nice dinner

@porcelainrose To me it sounds like your doctor is wise. Too many HIITS per week are hard for the female hormones, especially when you are not resting and doing proper recovery.

I would suggest a great podcast I listen to that is for women who are into exercise, healthy lifestyle and want to heal old issues, learn to love themselves etc. She has endless value on all of her episodes and talks to amazing guests regularly. Here is the link Better podcast

@porcelainrose You have a lot of good suggestions here, and kudos for taking the step to talk to your doctor.

Some things that worked for me in a very similar situation :

-scheduling walks with friends or walks solo to listen to audiobooks, relax and get fresh air while allowing my body to recover

-hatha + yin yoga to learn how to focus on my breath and calm my nervous system (I hate meditation and need to be doing something with my body to calm my mind).

-a hot bath with dim lighting and no reading or electronics, just music or quiet

-reading books for fun: I like biographies, you might like fiction, scifi, history, something else. I crawl into bed with a cup of tea and a book, no electronics, and read a book

-volunteering in a field you care about: retirement home, animal shelter, environmental clean-up, soup kitchen? My weekly volunteer shift is one of the most relaxing things I have in my life. I check out from everything else, feel gratitude for my own life, and get a chance to really give back.

-improve your sleep hygiene, keep a routine, and really be militant about getting enough sleep.

-CBD (if legal where you live)

@mlenadc amazing idea! i actually just talked to my therapist today about physical outlets for while i’m taking a break from fitness. drums came up, as did throwing pillows :)

@porcelainrose Great! Also, punching a heavy bag doesn't have to be thought of as exercise/fitness, but it's another helluva great release too. Sometimes I also like to go into the woods and chuck rocks as far as I can, or go skip pebbles across a lake. Or just make a splash. It's weird how little things like that have the ability to relieve stress. Or take up a bizarre niche hobby like carving avocado pits... Something about using your hands really helps take you out of your head and align your mood with your body.

Good Luck! Stress is never fun. But it can be constructive (and instructive!) Just find the things that click.

@porcelainrose When I healing my PTSD and going to therapy, my therapist suggested restorative yoga classes to help calm my over-active nervous system. Yin and sometimes hatha (if it’s more beginner focused and slow) are good for this as well. This also kind of falls into the “meditation” or “mindfulness” category.

My other suggestion is finding a therapist who practices somatic therapy. Dr Peter Levine has written many books about trauma and the body and somatic therapy, worth checking out. Personally found that somatic therapy was much more useful in my recovery process than other modalities.

@porcelainrose This might not sound fun but cleaning always makes me feel accomplished and less stressed, especially if I play some feel good music. And then the shower I take afterwards is so satisfying and stress relieving as well :)

@porcelainrose -creating things. I learned to crochet when I was recovering from a surgery and it is quite meditative. I also dabble in knitting, sewing, and crochet.
-growing plants. Working on planning and growing a garden is extremely rewarding for me!
- reading and movies. I don't watch sad or scary movies. I see enough sad stuff in real life.
- self care (when these things were available) I did sauna and hot tub and got a good scrub down at the Korean spa.
- naps
- special food. I wouldn't usually buy dragonfruit or persimmons or some other things. But if I'm down I might buy something I have wanted to try for a while but never have.
-watch pressure washing/ cleaning / hair braiding/ pore cleaning videos.

@porcelainrose You're taking an important step in focussing on your mental health.

I've also struggled with anxiety, depression and self-esteem issues (which compounded the first two) in the past. I mean, I still do... who doesn't?... but the steps I've taken have made it infinitely more manageable in getting through and actually enjoying my day-to-day.

Are there any activities you've tried in the past that bring you into a "flow state"? Like where you become so immersed that time passes by freely without you noticing? I'd recommend exploring bringing more of these into your weekly routine. It's a form of meditation, which IMO can come in many forms. For me it's music- two years ago I dove into DJing/radio hosting. On top of the meditative benefits, it's created something else to look forward to and drive self worth.

Wishing you the best!

@porcelainrose Cooking, sitting in nature, watching comedies and fun tv shows, listening to music, going for a drive to somewhere new, those are some things that relieve stress for me besides walking and aerobics which are my preferred forms of exercise :)

Back