How to respond to the "you look like a man" comments?

@toosmartforyou01 People are crazy. I think you have the makings of a great response in your post.

Your body is none of anyone's business. Many people act as though women's bodies are public property and they are entitled to have opinions about them.

@toosmartforyou01 I really enjoy using humor/sarcasm to respond to people who bring you down. Maybe it's not the high route but I think it's justifiable toward people who make low-rent comments about someone's body.

Maybe you can make sarcastic jokes about growing a beard because you've become such a manly man."Have you seen my razor? I'm starting to grow facial hair due to my manly diet and exercise" Or ask them on tips on being more feminine. I'd probably say something at the dinner table like "I need to make sure I eat enough so people think I look feminine enough".

Yes I love to be petty.

@toosmartforyou01 If you want to say anything at all "my body is here to serve and please me, not you. What it looks like is none of your business or concern." is a good way to go. That generally shuts people down and makes them feel pretty embarrassed about what they are saying. Generally though, I try to avoid justifying unsolicited, unwelcome, and unnecessary remarks about my body with a response.

@toosmartforyou01 I had a guy tell me not to get too bulky or else I'd look like a man or I'd become She-Hulk (who is a badass woman and judge, like yes that is who I want to be!). He also said I shouldn't lose my "beautiful curves" [vomit] I told him I do this for myself and not for anyone else. After that, I left the conversation just like that.

He's still trying to hit me up.

@toosmartforyou01 If they're talking behind your back, and not to your face, why do you need a witty retort?

In fact, why do you need a witty retort at all? if someone does say something to your face, "Please don't make comments on my body, it's very rude" is just fine.

@theknightstemplar It's weird, because when I was first told this, the person conveying the message started to comment on the body of the offending comment maker and I immediately defended them. But the more I think about it, the more pissed I get, so I would love to have some sort of retort that doesn't boil down to "I'm sorry you are fat and too lazy to do anything about it"

Same - my standard response is basically one word, then ignoring.

You look like a man! OK

Should you be eating that? Yes.

Aren't you on a diet? No.