I’m a chubby middle aged woman and I would like to know my plan is sound

@sofialo09 I’m going to go against the grain. Eating disorders are not something to mess around with. You know that. You are barely “overweight.” Your diet is already good. I think your exercise plan looks solid, and I totally agree with the poster that recommended jiggling/juggling it if needed to keep it fun and interesting.

If I were in your situation, I would actively try to let go of the idea that weight loss is your end goal. You want to be stronger. You want to be more comfortable engaging in fun, strenuous activities. You want to feel better in your body. You can do all of that without going into diet mode and micromanaging your intake. You can do all of that without triggering disordered eating habits.

I would focus on recomposition. Build the muscle you want. Eat the way that feels good to your body and doesn’t trigger any dangerous habits. The truth is, 5’8” and 165 lbs of strong, healthy muscle looks completely different than those same numbers but on a sedentary body.

If you’re going to follow the advice above about rigidly controlling your intake, PLEASE talk to a doctor specializing in eating disorders before you start. Your mental health matters.

@jane2468 Thank you for this post. You are obviously wise in this area. :) I can only promise that I have access to a therapist whom I have a history with and who treated my disordered eating. I am always wary of putting myself in risky eating modes; i.e.: I will never extremely restrict calories, and similarly I can never let myself become very hungry even if eating “enough”.

I hesitated to ever again have a weight goal, because the scale isn’t a precision tool, but I think at my current activity level and probable musculature, my overweight is primarily over-fat. :)

That said, your comment is really making me think very deeply about my plan on paper. I wonder if I would do better mentally by starting simply with the Minimal Plan, or the Move Plan... because know I don’t need a tougher regimen like the RR just to improve my body composition, especially at first, I and just getting in the 3x-week habit of exercise beyond walking/running again would be a huge change and improvement.

❤️

@sofialo09

This girl explains fat loss and muscle retention in a way that's a little oversimplified but really helped me. Just from the diet side.

I think your plan looks great but if you want to switch it up I really like Popsugar fitness YouTube videos. I like to do ones with little to no cardio bc they don't make me feel like a doofus lol

@sofialo09 I like it overall. More lower body stuff like lunges, more core work. I personally found running to be difficult for a long time. I found body weight cardio workouts (another user suggested popsugar) to be helpful and effective in helping me get the stamina I needed to aid in getting strong. I run better now, but still find 30-45 minute cardio workouts to be most effective for me. Here's my favorite:

@sofialo09 Plan looks good, but I'm a but concerned about you going from 0 exercise to 6 or 7 days a week exercise.

I'd suggest starting much, much, much smaller.

In fact, I wouldnt even worry about exercising at all right now. Weight loss is 99% diet.

If you focused all of your energy and habit building into your diet and trying to go on 30 minute walks 3-5 times a week, you'll see astronomical results.

Once you have those habits built, start up with a fitness plan.

@ambryrye Habit building is hard af. I do things I want to do, and the rest I turn into a whiny child.

I already walk and lightly run (edited my post to clarify) and am used to at leaast TRYING to do at least 30 minutes of activity every day, usually 60 on weekdays and many hours on Sundays. I am a victim of being hedonistic, because I enjoy walking and hiking as much as I do tasty food! :) (PS: I know I'm not a victim, but it sounds proper).

I have done strength work in the past (YAYOG, BBY, personal trainer) but I'd get discouraged after 3 months or so because I was still chubby (eating too many calories) and slow, or not reaching my running goals (which are not very important to me anymore), and the extra workouts seemed to EXPLODE my appetite and I compensated with EAT IT ALL. I had pretty boss quads though, under that fat...

@sofialo09 Yeah...for whatever reason our society teaches us that to lose weight you have to exercise a ton.

That's just not true.

As you've seen, you can work out and exercise like crazy and still not lose weight.

Take all of your energy and focus it into your eating and building a healthy lifestyle. You'll see much bigger and faster results ttgat way than trying to exercise your way through all the food you're eating to compensate.

@sofialo09 I know this is BWF. But if you find some of the exercises too difficult, training with weights can actually be easier for a beginner that doesn't have the required strength to move their body.

If you're having trouble consider some very light weights and substituting some dumbell bench press (can be done on the floor) for pushups, dumbell rows for pull ups, etc. Small weights are pretty cheap and can be good if you find yourself in a position of lacking the strength to really progress in your workouts.

Also, you get strong from working out, but you lose weight by eating properly, so make sure you focus on the priority most import to you and make the other one secondary.

Whatever you do, choose what you can do consistently, in the end that will be the most important part in success. If you need to cut something or modify it for a bit, do it.

@sofialo09 I won’t comment on the plan as wiser minds have already done so, but I just wanted to give you good vibes for starting your journey.

You’ve also come to the right place, this is a very knowledgeable group of people that will be happy to help you hit your goals.

@sofialo09 Nothing wrong with plan, looks almost exactly like mine (except my coffee is daily).

I will only say that get a goal that's not based around 'loss'. Maybe sign up for a race in a few months, or begin working towards your first pullup? Weight loss and strength gain is a slippery slope with plateau's abound and it's a hard slog if they are your only goal.

Especially at the beginning, you need to do something you can get passionate about...a dance class you enjoy going to, rock climbing and getting project climbs to try finish etc. Something that gets you out and pounding pavement when you don't feel like it. Something fun, something that when you get home, stand on the scale doesn't depress you cause who cares you've made progress anyway.

@arielrose “Who cares if you’ve made progress anyway” is EXACTLY my biggest downer right now! I’m not going to get better at my job, be loved more by friends/family, or avoid a specific health issue by doing this hard work, I don’t give a sh*t about fashion or some random gotta-look-good event; it has to be worth it to me. And I’m having trouble making that into compelling “reasons why”... I have had running goals and failed the “run a 5K in under 30 minutes” one so many times it makes me sick to think about. I’ve got to nail this “why” stuff.

@sofialo09 Not a fitness expert at all, but want to say keep it up and you're doing great for yourself having a weekly plan for movement. Love the Saturday and Sunday plans. You want to set your goals, but don't want to burn out in lieu of them. Personally, I try to go on a walk every day. Even if I'm lifting or training (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). The movement of my body keeps it alert and my mind at rest, I find.

Back