I’m a chubby middle aged woman and I would like to know my plan is sound

@sofialo09 Someone who has recently lost 10 pounds. These are what has worked for me:

-What you put into your body is most important as it fuels your body and your workout. Instead of restriction, I used substitution. I first replaced processed sugar with natural sugars. I replaced processed fat with healthy fats. I also ate more leafy greens. You might be actually be able to eat more of these foods while still having a caloric deficit, rather than having that one philly cheese steak that has 1000 calories. My taste palette and cravings changed as I've stuck longer to eating healthier and my relationship with food has changed. I've come to appreciate food even more.

For instance, instead of Chips-ahoy, I make almond flour cookies with dark chocolate chips and some honey for sweetness. It tastes better than Chips-ahoy, which motivates me to continue to make it. I'll make nice burgers from chuck steak with some muenster cheese on top of arugala, and top it off with some pickled scallion salad, usually without a bun. I love cooking for myself and my wife more, and I love hosting and cooking for others more too. Instead of going out to restaurants, we just invite friends over and I'll cook something.

-Lower intensity, more consistent training. I used to split my exercise like you have here and do them until I felt a nice burn. My problem was I would be sore and my body wouldn't be at full strength. My traps would be sore, which would then flare my neck, sometimes giving me headaches. My legs would be sore so I wouldn't be able to do any walking or running. I finally lowered my intensity, but did all of the exercises every day, giving myself rest on Sundays. I went about 70%. So my max pullups were 10, but I did 7 everyday. I didn't do 1 set of 7 reps by the way. I would break it down into 3 or 4 sets of 1 or 2 reps. I did more pull ups throughout the week than when I did a heavy upper body day and burn out the rest of the week. I was able to increase my max pulls to 15 now.

This also pertains to my cardio. I incorporated walking into my day. My work is about 30 minute walk so I just walk to work and back. Honestly, it takes the same amount of time driving because of traffic. One morning I was late so I had to jog (I'm not very strong jogger), and I was surprisingly able to jog the whole way. So I try to do at least 30-45 minutes of walking everyday. I've started incorporating more intense cardio. I'm starting with 2 minutes of jump roping a day right now, and I'll adjust accordingly.

-Lastly, give yourself time. Your body needs time to adjust and change. Focus on practicing consistency and results will come.

These are just couple of things that really changed my perspective on health and fitness. I hope you can find something useful. Best of luck on your journey!

@levi88 Congratulations on your success, and thank you for your personalized advice! I am not a cook, but I feel like making at least a brief ritual out of cooking may change my tendency for too much of it. :)

I definitely am going to take your "lower-intensity more consistency" point to heart immediately.

@sofialo09 Right, so coming more from a running perspective, the 2-4 miles M/W/F send like it might be very ambitious to start off with, depending on your current level of running.

From some of your comments, it seems that you have prior running experience, but just in case, start low in mileage and add mileage carefully and incrementally, 10% per week or less maybe. Hal higdon's couch to 5k is a time honored approach, even if you are not trying to actually run a 5k.

Remember that your only objective is improvement, so don't go too crazy at first. Overuse injuries are very real and can be quite discouraging. My particular nemesis is shin splints if I get carried away.

This is from my own biased personal experience, but I also recommend not running on asphalt or concrete if you can possibly help it. Running on dirt just feels so much more natural/comfortable to me.

Good luck on your journey! It sounds like you have a good plan and the right attitude.

@sofialo09 I would recommend integrating as much biking, hiking, and swimming as you can over running. I hope you love it- I run a lot (~40 miles a week for the last 6 years) and its a big part of who I am. That said, it's a huge grind at the beginning and has a high injury risk, so be careful to increase your millage slowly. This plan has gotten high reviews from my friends: https://www.c25k.com/

Best of luck! We're rooting for you!

@sofialo09 Do you enjoy--truly enjoy, in the moment--each of the things in this plan? If so, great! But if it's something you have to force yourself to do, or remind yourself of your end goal, see if you can find ways to... make each part of this plan a way your identity manifests in fun ways. These might be new ways, and you might need to change or otherwise reconsider your 'identity', but it should still express the very base core of who you are.

Maybe you love to dance, or you love the outdoors, or you consider yourself a risk-taker, or you love talking to others, or inspiring others, or so on. You can find ways to incorporate these aspects of yourself into whatever activity you do, and/or choose an activity that plays into who you are and your strengths. You can find and bring community or family with (ie, joining a friend, group, or going on a family walk or run that's at 'conversation' pace).

With food, well, you say it's being professionally managed, so trust their advice over anyone else's, but rather than forcing yourself to eat something you don't enjoy eating (for instance, I hate salads), you can find something that's healthy and fits your needs but is delicious (for me, this means 'eating' my spinach in citrusy smoothies). Maybe you'd be happier eating a large 'volume' of food, so you can adjust your diet/groceries by primarily buying low calorie density, healthy products. As someone who needs to eat a special diet, but also needs to eat an excessive amount, it actually takes a lot of work and special strategies to gain weight on a 'healthy' diet when you're cooking from scratch and not eating gluten/dairy/etc, as the majority of produce is not calorie-dense.

You know yourself best, but focus on focusing on your 'identity', reframing your behaviour and habits as its manifestation, and simply loving and enjoying life. You won't see 'progress' right away, and might even see it temporarily slip back at times, so you need to be able to say you enjoy the process. Ideally your habits aren't choices, but something you do because it's part of how you identify.

@robkal I've never thought of reframing my exercise as something I truly feel from the inside out, but someone said this to me recently as well: how can you make movement and exercise an enjoyable experience? And so far the only thing that works is listening to music. I definitely feel the pain/burn of doing strength exercises and I don't enjoy that feeling **at ALL** (any exertion feels like hell to me), so music makes is bearable...

As for food, I have no dietary restrictions and I do engage in some volume eating (tons of greens for salad for dinner, for example) and I don't eat anything I don't love! I guess in that way I'm really lucky, to have that choice. On the other hand, it works against me because food is so delish!

...focus on focusing on your 'identity', reframing your behaviour and habits as its manifestation, and simply loving and enjoying life. ... Ideally your habits aren't choices, but something you do because it's part of how you identify.

I absolutely love this and am taking it to heart. Thank you so much for your lovely words.

@sofialo09 I'm glad! It sounds like you're doing very well already -- you're managing the bulimia, are actively trying to find what works for you, and are open to re-evaluating and advice. Figuring out what your identity is, and finding ways to let it manifest creatively in a way that works for you, can be hard, yet valuable, work. I'd say good luck, but I don't think you need it :)

@sofialo09 Keep fighting! This shit is every day.

Just remind yourself that what you're doing is being good to yourself. You aren't punishing yourself by training or eating less/differently. You're building yourself up into a healthier/stronger you.

I mean this in the most positive way, but being middle-aged means now is the time to get serious.

You love food? Respect yourself and train yourself and when you do have those cheat meals it'll taste way better. I promise.

@sofialo09
I am halfway through this life.

You're actually at the beginning of a new chapter of a new you. :) My parents made fitness and dieting a part of their life over the past few years. They are late 40's (mom) and mid 50's (dad.) They've had a very successful run at the keto diet and both are happier than I've seen them in a long time.

Way more energy too.

@sofialo09 Congrats on making a positive change for yourself. Image is reflection of what is going on within. You're definitely at a good start. I might throw in climbing stairs with your walk/run days. My suggestion is this:

1) Mental Focus - Stay consistent and continue driving change within you. Never be lazy or give up. Sometimes we have our off-days, which is why it is important to not give in to off-days. Unless you are sick or a body part hurts (overtrained), you stick to the plan.

2) Diet - It's true. You will NEVER out-train a sh*t diet. Loose everything with refined sugar in it. Always be burning more than you intake. The intermittent diet/fasting worked wonders for me. Research it sometime when you are ready. Quality of food is the most important thing you can feed your body during recovery from exercise. Eat lots of veggies. Focus on veggie proteins and easy meats like fish/chicken. Choose quinoa over rices and pastas. Eat fruits sparingly and selectively (sugar).

3) Sleep - Body needs adequate sleep for recovery, especially if you are strength training. You are burning calories while you sleep as muscles recover and depending on the quality of food you ate, you could be burning pure fat. All depends.

4) Track Progress/Level Up - Track your progress daily. Use a notebook if needed. You want to focus on improvements on time, reps, or weight (how much weight you are using). Then you will want to level up and move on to unassisted when you are ready for it. You always want to track and measure performance. This is goal setting to achieve results.

If you are consistently getting though this daily, it will have become a lifestyle for you. Beyond the obvious weightloss result and a tighter bod which will be the biggest motivating factor for you, you will find other areas of your quality of life improving. I.E, strength, better endurance, easier to breath, lower blood pressure, lower diabetes risk, fewer ailments, stronger immune system, etc. Hope this is helpful and wishing you best of luck in your journey to a better you!

@reborneth What a great reply, thank you! I'll tell you that I've recently been realizing that not having enough sleep is HUGE. I have trouble sleeping and therefore feel like an absolute slug most days of the week. Last night I forced myself to bed REALLY early, and despite waking a couple of times, I actually felt refreshed on a weekday for the first time in... months?

It's hard to decide how to track progress, so I am starting with the simple RR excel chart and basically checking off "DID IT" to start with.

@sofialo09 The most important thing, by far, regardless of exercise choice, is consistency. If this program works for you, and is enjoyable, you’re more likely to stick with it, which makes it the right plan for you.

@sofialo09 Coach Sommer from gymnasticbodies gets a lot of hate on this sub, but he said something that really inspired my early journey.

Writing a novel is a daunting task you can’t just sit down and knock one out. But a page of writing, that’s achievable. One page everyday gets you to 365 pages in year, that’s a respectable novel.

I guarantee that there are habits you make the time to do everyday. Cleaning your teeth for example. A morning shower perhaps. Your daily exercise routine should become exactly that, routine, it is just something you do each day, like cleaning your teeth, or putting your shoes on. Consider it a time for meditation.

Consistency is not a fantasy, it is a reality to some aspects of your life when you really think about it. You consistently go to bed. You consistently eat dinner, you consistently get dressed in the morning. This just needs to become part of that, so make it an enjoyable part.

Back