I am so mad at myself for not strength training sooner

slant

I felt the “rant” flair was the most appropriate, though I’m basically ranting about myself, lol.

I’ve finally added strength training in because I’ve stalled for a hot minute in weight loss, and honestly got bored of doing so much cardio all the time.

I’m amazed at how good I feel with even 3 strength training sessions a week, even though I’m still using baby weights (no arm strength yet, have the strength of a toddler), AND that I don’t get super overly sweaty or feel absolutely exhausted after it. I feel energized, and have learned to look forward to the soreness. I feel so dang accomplished.

I guess I hope this encourages anyone who, like me, saw alllll the “strength training is good for you and feels great” posts and still made excuses to not add it in….you should definitely add it in. 100%. I have built up a decent little collection of free weights to avoid gym anxiety, and I love knowing I have them all at my disposal whenever I want, haha.

I’m not as focused on the scale anymore because I’ve finally learned to lean into what FEELS GOOD for my body, and I cannot thank y’all enough for helping me get to that point. I’m just having fun now, eating healthy, finding ways to be active, and actually enjoying myself. My whole relationship with my body has changed for the better.

Thankful for y’all.

@slant Honestly, same.

I was a cardio/pilates girly through and through for so long. It was fine -- I looked fine, I felt fine. But you're telling me I could have gotten the aesthetic I wanted by picking up heavy things and eating more?? It boggles the mind.

I hated cardio, but I did it because I thought that it was what I was supposed to do. But cardio goes by in microwave minutes and I have the brain of a goldfish. It's booooooring. But going to the gym, pulling eight reps, stopping for a full minute, pulling eight more, stopping again... it's like an ADHD cheat code.

(I am also a tiny person filled with rage. Slamming weights feels like therapy.)

@mj_1969 HA, “tiny person filled with rage” made my whole day.

Cardio is HARD to do every single day 5-6x a week. I think we’re just not designed to do the same exact thing every day, and even though I love my bike, sometimes I just stare at it and try to think of ANY excuse to not do it. It’s just not like that with weight training since there are so many different exercises to do and ways to do them.

I hope you rage hard and build those muscles, friend.

@mj_1969 Exactly . Same ADHD and cardio is painful unless I’m walking outdoors or engaged in an activity, like paddle boarding .
I love lifting , music all the way up , focusing on muscle groups and breathing , stops the million thoughts per minute .

@mj_1969 Yessss cardio is so boring! I started with bike (got bored), then treadmill (got bored) then jump rope(got bored and kinda dizzy from all the jumping lol) but now I box and it’s a lot more fun and from one tiny person filled with rage to another, punching things yay!

@slant I not only wish I had started sooner, but when I did, I wish I followed a program sooner instead of bopping around in the gym with no goal in mind. The mental load of figuring out what to do became a huge barrier for me and led to months where I’d stop going before restarting, then stopping again.

Strength training is so good for many goals, and I’m so glad you found a love for it. Your body and mind will continue to thank you. :)

@annliz If you are working out at home and have a few dumbbells, I highly recommend Caroline Girvan on YouTube. She has lots of videos, but more importantly, she has programs/series (I'm currently doing IRON). If you follow the series, you'll get a good idea what muscle groups to hit and how often. Don't skip the beginning portion of each video, as that's where she gives you tips (she doesn't talk during the workout- at least not the series I have done)...though she will give visual tips during.

@sleeplesshollow I started with Thinner, Leaner, Stronger (free PDFs can be found online), but used dumbbells instead of the barbell for the compound movements when I was starting out. I’m currently running Sohee Lee Carpenter’s Year of Strength and really enjoy it. I’ve run several of Caroline Girvan’s Epic programs which I always come back to as I find them enjoyable and very accessible (free, at-home dumbbells only).

@cah5896 Love her IG content so much and this is the first program of hers that I’m using. It’s great! I screenshot each month’s workouts and just keep it on my phone since I track the weights / reps I use that way too.

@slant Love this!!

I did p90x 2x before I had kids and loved how I felt and looked. I started strength training again a little less than 2 years ago and I’ve never felt more MYSELF again! Strong and getting so lean!

It is such a game changer. Good for your mind, physique AND your bones!

@sweetkf YES, my mental health has been so much better since incorporating it. I like cardio most days, but some days were REALLY hard to get going, and I would end up just not doing anything and feeling like poo. Now that I have something entirely different to do, it’s easier for me to stay motivated throughout the week to do something.

Love this for you, and way to freaking kick butt and get back into it.

@slant SAME. not only do i see the largest difference in my appearance, but i feel so much stronger and physically capable, like i can do anything! i do not think ill stop lifting even after reaching my weight loss goals.

@newsong2018 I’m with you!! It’s amazing what even 20-25 minutes of strength training can do for my entire day’s success and mindset. I look at stuff now and think “hmmm, I bet I can pick it up” and even if I’m wrong, at least I have the courage to try now! I think it’s especially invaluable for us petites because the world can feel so big and we’re constantly viewed as “small.” You absolutely CAN do anything, friend. Proud of you!! Thanks for celebrating your success with all of us.