I can’t do push-ups

@bicdean I’m going by what it’s stereotypically called which is in fact a girl push up.

I’m aware it’s not the “correct term” because it’s simply called a push up from the knee position. But we are going by the stereotypical name here as I’m referring to OP’s post.

Edit: Different push ups positions exist. But you wouldn’t call a wall push up a girl push up. Even if done by a girl. You would call it a wall push up.

I’m just referring to the knee push up which in turn is called a girl push up.

If I’m making sense.

@dawn16 Are you ignorant on purpose or just that tone deaf? Or a man? I'll go with a man mansplaining what "girl push-ups" are. The whole point was that that is an incredibly sexist and derogatory term. Just call them knee push-up, for what they are.

@dawn16 I understand your rationale but I think what the above commenters are getting at is the sexist nature of referring to easier or less athletic things as girlie. Common example being “don’t run/throw like a girl” that’s often said to little boys. I think we are all trying to move away from that terminology!

@dawn16 To emphasize, muscle memory (perhaps it's better called movement familiarity?) is a huge part of a pushup. I have yet to perform an exercise that is more foreign to my normal movements — unless you push things around for a living, you almost never experience anything similar to the pushup motion.

@ilovejesuschristourlord Start small. If you're having a rough time doing push ups from your knees, start against the wall instead (standing up, using the wall as the "floor"). If those feel too easy, take a small step back and do one starting a bit further out, gradually increasing your angle from the wall. Little steps to build on :) and don't forget to be kind to yourself!

@ilovejesuschristourlord I could do them off the wall no problem somy PT said if you have the space, you can do it on your stairs as well. Feet on the ground, then progress closer to the ground with your arms.

A bench works well too. Basically anything inbetween the wall-floor version