I did my first push-ups after failing for months

@nataliem True and the mentality I shared with the example of the fat vs muscle in terms of space it takes up helps stop the demoralizing feeling of weighing and expecting a bs number to show a lower bs number. Both are true: you aren't always putting on muscle AND muscle takes up less space than equivalent weight of fat. It takes time to put on weight and takes time to take off weight. 15% can be a lot of change in how clothing fits and how a person feels. It's better to measure the progress in terms of how one feels and how clothing fit changes than it is to step on a scale. I used a picture and simplistic math to help the person have a foundational understanding of "muscle takes up way less space than fat". Simple concepts followed by increasingly complex concepts make understanding easier.

@vanztyn Yes, 15% can make a big difference, but 15% of what? If that’s 15% of 1 pound, I don’t think it’s even noticeable. Even 15% of 5 pound won’t make that much of a difference.

The only reason I emphasize that difference is not that big and it takes a lot of time to build muscles, so that people don’t think that 1 month of exercise will replace all fat with muscles. The difference is negligible. You still have to weight yourself to track changes. That’s why many who lost extra weight say that’s losing weight is 80% about diet and only 20% about exercise.

@nataliem The same cup that’s filled with flour will not be as heavy as when it holds dough. The dough, made with that flour , is denser because it also contains water and whatever else you put in it. There’s simply more “stuff” in the cup.

Fat and muscle are similar- the “stuff” that makes up fat is less dense than that which makes muscle.

@kyleeak So how much would weight a cup of fat in comparison to cup of meat? I asked about numbers, but all people only give me explanation how density works. I remember my school physics.