I don’t train til failure, but I’m always fatigued and extremely sore

jimkbeau

Even though I don't train to failure, I push myself hard during workouts, and always end up extremely sore. Despite being consistent with my training (now around 2 years but I’ve had some inconsistencies), eating enough protein, and getting decent sleep, progress feels sluggish and recovery is a struggle. My lifestyle isn't overly stressful, and I don't overdo cardio, yet I'm perplexed by my slow recovery. I'm wondering if this is normal and if there are ways for me to recover better and faster (or is this what every natural builder goes through?).

PS. I follow Jeff Nippards PPL program.

Edit: btw I’m grateful for any piece of advice, thank you guys! And please let know about your experience as well if you have the time.

2nd Edit: I just wanna say thank you to all of you once again, everyone is so kind and informative, I didn’t expect this amount of great advice and I will definitely be applying it, thank you everyone!

@asperd I don’t think I am at all, I’m following a well praised workout routine made by Jeff Nippard (sounds like an ad haha), and honestly it doesn’t seem to be that taxing when it comes to my energy in the gym

@jimkbeau Have you tried reducing the volume, or perhaps just taking an extra days rest somewhere intelligently in the program? We're not all built the same and you might recover better by doing less / resting more. Remember, you need your body to recover to actually make the gains!

@jimkbeau As someone who has done Nippard's PPL, it's honestly not that well put together, and the volume is pretty high.

Either way, the program wasn't made specifically for you, and your recoverability will differ. You ought to reduce volume for the muscles that get really sore until you adapt to the stimulus (don't get sore) and then increase volume accordingly

Back