If my coworkers can have a 10minute smoke break why can’t I have a 10minute micro workout?

@hercrazierhalf Love this idea! And the companies would benefit enormously by having people trying to stay fit. Bring it up with management showing the benefits vs the cost of employees who smoke

@alwayscold I've never worked for any company, ever, that gave designated smoke breaks to hourly employees. What I have seen is people getting warned and then written up for taking smoke breaks outside of the designated break times that everyone has. People got fired over it where I used to work because they wouldn't stop doing it.

@hranga I have worked in restaurants for 15+ years. You don’t get smoke breaks. You sneak off when you think you have a minute or before the shift. It’s more and more frowned upon. I quit smoking years ago but even then you weren’t owed any breaks and when you took them you kinda hoped not to be seen.

@hercrazierhalf A number of years back when I realized I needed a change, was right about the time that a paper came out saying that the wisdom about 20 minutes of exercise a day was not exactly right (though the secret is that doctors would rather it be more like 40 minutes but you can't just spring 40 minutes on couch potatoes).

It turns out that 3x7 minutes works about as well. I was already getting at least 2x7 walking to lunch every day, so I just started sneaking out in the early afternoon for a 7-10 minute walk. For a lot of desk jobs, everyone will just assume you're in the can if you're gone for less than 10 minutes.

Stairwells can also be good, since most people won't use them, and most who do are fitness minded so won't say anything. But the problem is that they aren't really ventilated, so unless the building is very tall or the stairway very generous you can steam one up in five to ten minutes.

Back