Information Overload

ilovegod777

So earlier this year a switch flipped in me and i have become 100% committed to getting healthy again (Mid life crisis?). My main goals are to be strong and active so I can not only be present with but also be a good example to my kids and (future) grandkids.

I have made some healthy changes to my diet, I regularly exercise and I am very happy with the results that are happening. However as my interests have changed, so have all of my media reccomendations. I am bombarded with various experts who address a specific topic that they have studied, claim it is a catastophic problem, and present their solution. These topics include fasting, nose breathing, sugar elimination, testosterone boosting, yoga, food dyes, plastic chemical compounds, and on and on...

It's strange to me that they each claim to address and correct the same problems e.g., cancer rates, ADHD, brain fog, low energy, obesity, low libido, etc...

How does one sort all this out?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

@ilovegod777 Just eat fairly healthy, don’t binge the weekends, lift with intensity and muscle-mind-connection, do the type of workout that you enjoy so that you keep coming back. If it gets stale then change your workout or switch to something else that is physical. It’s only important to keep doing something.

Ignore the noise. It’s just that, noise. If you feel better and are progressing ever so slightly in what you are doing then you are doing it right.

Pick up some new knowledge every now and again but don’t divulge in going for perfection.

@ilovegod777 Move more, eat and drink better, and take time to relax.

Try some local classes and forms of exercise and see what you enjoy.

Everyone else is just selling crap on instagram

@jbrad01x
If someone convinces you that there's a problem and in the same breath tries to tell you that they have the solution, it's probably a scam.

Totally agree.

To this I'll also add: "and if that person promises results in an impressive amount of time, it's definitely a scam".

@ilovegod777 99% of the people talking about those topics are self styled experts, and not actual experts in that field. Especially if they’re fear mongering and trying to sell you something. There are plenty of actual experts that break things down using actual evidence and offer nuanced and unbiased information, but that’s not nearly as popular as the sensationalism the others traffic in.

@ilovegod777 Don't sort it out.

99% of people are trying to sell something, either a product or themselves. They need a boogie man to scare you so they can save you from it.

Eat well, workout more. You can go further down the rabbit hole far down the line when you start hitting plateaus.

@ilovegod777 I recommend following Dan John. Get the book Easy Strength. It is designed to cut to what works and build healthy habits.

The other person I really respect is Geoff Neupert. He has a program called Easy Muscle which is also quite good. As well as several kettlebell related programs that have a cult following. His clients are busy professionals and he believes in short doable workouts.

@uzezi Dan has over 40 years in the training people and Geoff over 20. These are really 2 guys who are completely no nonsense.

There is nothing fancy about either of these men's programming. It's simple. Respects your time in the gym. Understands nonjuiced recovery of people 30+. And has a progression built into it.

Both give out quite valuable programming online for free. And both have some valuable YouTube content.

I ran Neupert's Strong for 2 years and saw great progress. Just ran Dan's Easy Strength for 10 weeks dropped weight and strength went up. In both cases had very positive body recomposition.

So I'm not recommending them blindly, but because I've seen a lot of content and theirs is the most consistently common sense and valuable.

@ilovegod777 Hoy sort out by:

1.- Learning to identify who are the experts in a field.

2.- Following the advice of those experts.

#1 is where most people fail, because they conflate popularity with proficiency. As an example, AthleanX gives the absolute WORST fitness content on YouTube, but he’s a great marketer so people who don’t know better, like beginners, think he’s good.

If you want to get good at lifting, ask the people that can lift a lot of weight. If you want to get good at running, ask the people that can run very fast. Etc.

Reddit is full of communities like that.

@ilovegod777 I recommend Marty Gallagher’s The Purposeful Primitive. It’s a book, and Gallagher is a proper author, lifter, and coach, so everything is laid out in a cohesive manner. He covers resistance training, cardio, diet, and some mental game. It’s also a pretty entertaining read.

That’s a great place to start. If you have trouble with technique, and YouTube doesn’t do it for you, look into hiring a good coach in your area.

Other than that, try not to get sucked into the influencer rabbit hole. Pick a style of training, diet, and cardio that you enjoy and stick with it. Remember that it’s better to properly train (decent intensity) than to spin your wheels. With a few years of consistency you’ll be blown away.

Back