Information Overload

@ilovegod777 Yeah... it's a lot. I think it comes to finding a middle ground that is doable for you. For me it's a good mix of strength training and cardio each week for at least 5 days a week. Off days I try to stay active.

Diet-wise I focus on cutting out sugar and processed simple carbs as much as possible.

Keep alcohol consumption down, but still have a couple drinks here and there.

Focus on getting 7 hours of sleep, minimum. This is the most difficult, as we have a toddler.

But you simply can't do it all. There's a good book called Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection where he tried to be the healthiest man in the world. I'm about halfway through. Pretty funny.

@ilovegod777 Focus on diet and consistency. I personally enjoy watching RP, Greg Doucette, and a few other “fitness YouTubers “ but take everything they say with a grain of salt. I do pull bits and pieces of advice from their videos and use what works for me, but don’t go overboard. Do what is giving you the best results with the least out of pocket expense. One thing I’ve spent money on that I believe has helped me immensely is the “Strong App”… but that’s mainly to make logging my workouts easier, and I like to geek out on my weekly lift totals lol.

@ilovegod777 Most of it is just nonsense and I wouldn’t worry about it. Eating this food or that food isn’t goi by to cure you of your ailments or suddenly cause you to develop horrific conditions. Just eat relatively healthy Whole Foods and avoid industrially processed pre-packed stuff as much as you can.

Trying to address things like you mentioned above through diet alone, particularly at such a granular level as eating some specific ingredient in a given mean is a waste of energy. I worked in an epidemiology lab in college for a few years and they were running decades-long experiments observing the presence of trace metals in human samples (hair and fingernails) as it related to developing rates of things like Alzheimer’s or cancers in the subjects. We’d been collecting their samples for like 25 years as they all got older and tracking their end of life conditions… when i left, it seemed like there MIGHT be some loose relationship between arsenic and magnesium in high quantities and some negative conditions developing late in life, but these subjects were all Korean and eating tremendous amounts of white rice their entire lives, which is what caused those elevated levels of those trace metals. Makes basically no significant difference what you eat. Your genetics are orders of magnitude more impactful and you can’t do anything about that, so I wouldn’t sweat it.

Just avoid refined sugars other than the occasional treat, try not to eat a ton of deep fried foods every week, and get good rest as much as you can.

Back