Is A-B required for PPL?

@revbillw I have a few variations that I initially added so I didn’t have to wait for specific machines. Other than that it’s the same run, been doing it for a long time too and the results keep coming as long as the weights are moving up.

@revbillw The reason I like 2 days is because you don't have to pick which gets prioritized. With 2 push days I have bench press and overhead press which I feel are equally important movements. On leg day you start with a Squat or DL variation. For both of those examples if you only had 1 day you gotta pick 1 lift most likely.

With that said I'd probably do something like this

- Push: Overhead press followed by flat or low incline dumbell bench

- Legs: Squat or primary quad movement followed by RDL

- Pull: Row movement + pulldown movement + another row

@revbillw No, but you’re probably neglecting some things if you do the same stuff every 3 days. Do you get in neck, forearm, calves, and abs training? Even if the main program is the same I’d at least vary the accessories

@revbillw No but eventually you will get bored and want to swap your exercises anyway, so either way works. Generally if you can find 3-4 exercises for each of the PPL days that work best for your structure and leverages to bring the target muscle to failure, this will yield the best results

No point adding variations to try and 'hit the muscle at different angles' if you don't have a few core exercises that you get your consistent progressive overload from.