It’s okay if you don’t want to do at home workouts right now

@dawn16 Same! We’re the same person. I’m doing what I can, with what I got, where I am and that’s all I have control over and it is MORE THAN OK! maybe the more I yell it at myself the more I’ll 100% believe it.

But yeah I’ve had a couple days of shelter in place I haven’t done an at home workout because it’s .. not the same? Hope that’s ok. Feels like a failure but I know logically it’s not.

Bottom line we’re all in this together! Glad to have this sub, you girls, and these posts!

@dawn16 This is so true. I had twins and then less than 2 years later another baby (plus a miscarriage in the middle). I gained 55, lost 60, gained 35, lost 45. I'm 15 lbs lighter and much fitter than I was before my kids (it's a huge pain in the ass to go out to eat with 3 kids, and we can't go to our favorite bars anymore)

That being said, working out is keeping me sane. Having some weightlifting routine every morning, and taking above-mentioned kids on walks during the day makes the days go by more quickly and easily. It also helps burn some of the nervous energy.

@dawn16 Well that is the last thing I wanted to hear after moving my wedding once to September. I wonder if I’ll have to cancel it altogether... I don’t think I could move forward knowing it’s putting people in danger :/

@shorew I agree, it totally sucks! I'm in a similar position. My husband and I had our wedding celebration planned for August (already had a courthouse marriage but planned the celebration for later when his family could visit from Europe). But now I'm thinking we'll likely have to postpone, and hopefully his family will be able to get a refund on their tickets. It's such a bummer, but I have older family members who I want to be able to come and I really don't want to put any of them at risk. Besides, even if it was all young people, the risk of somebody unknowingly spreading the disease around seems too great.

This is my issue. Everyone is saying “it’s only a month or two, we’ll be fine” but if it persists for more than 2 months I know for sure I’ll be losing a lot of muscle if not most I’ve accumulated in the past year. This really sucks as I was just starting to achieve a body I was proud of.

I agree, I think people kind of have their heads in the sand about how long-lasting this could be. Even so, there are ways to maintain fitness! There's a lot you can do with home workouts, and those of us who can still social distance outdoors can take advantage of opportunities to run, hike, bike, walk, etc. It's not ideal, but it is possible to exercise while maintaining social distance.

@dawn16 I don’t think society can take social distancing (in its current form) for that long. People will get evicted from their apartments and lose their houses en masse, all but the biggest corporations would likely fold, there would be massive civil unrest, I wouldn’t be surprised by riots and looting. Suicides would spike. A month, maybe 2 people can handle. A year or more? Not a chance. At some point it will have to just be those in the most at risk populations who stay in isolation.

@manihanery You're not wrong about the sustainability - that's exactly why timing measures is so important - but models e.g. the MRC one from Imperial College London are suggesting the potential for multiple interventions, tightening and loosening measures progressively, to limit the spread while also minimising the impact on society and the chance of second epidemic peaks. This is more nuanced than just 'self isolation for x amount of time'. We should expect measures to be long term but they may not necessarily be as consistently strict for that period of time.

Back