Kettlebell noob here, would appreciate some tailored advice for what to buy to supplement my research. :)

gregory_r_g

Hi guys. I am about to add kettlebells to my home workout routine and have been doing some reading.

My questions are:
  1. I am 5ft 9 / 178cm and 66KG / 145lbs with 'decent' arm/upper body muscle from push ups and weighted (70KG total) pull ups during the pandemic. Would a 16KG and 24KG be the optimal first two KB weights to buy that I can learn the correct form with and then grow into?
  2. Is TRX a good brand for KB's? They can be bought local to me and seem to tick all the boxes with the handle thickness and manufacturing quality TRX KETTLEBELLS - TRX Training. Alternatively Decathlon also have options that get good reviews, though the handle shape is more squared Kugelhantel Kettlebell 16 kg | DOMYOS | DECATHLON
Many thanks. :)

@gregory_r_g Weights are good. 16 and 24 will offer a lifetime of opportunities. Spend most of your time with the 16 for the first year, you need to build technique even if you "feel" you're strong enough for the 24. I don't know about TRX bells, but looking at the picture, they look solid. I wouldn't mind using them myself.

Avoid Decathlon ones like the plague. The squared handle may sound sensible for swings, but it is absolutely awful for the rest, that is anything that involves cleaning, snatching or holding the bell overhead. And even for swings, the handle diameter is way too thin.

Welcome onboard. Hope you'll enjoy KB's as much as the rest of us.

@dawn16 Thanks man I appreciate the welcome and the feedback, I'm happy to have found them and I wish I had done this at the start of the pandemic! Still, better late than never. :)

Decathlon ones do indeed look weird with the handles and not so ergonomic for some exercises and I am happy you confirmed my suspicions. They aren't even "that" cheap where I live.

Do you recommend the adjustable KB's that another redditor recommended? https://www.kettlebellkings.com/12-32kg-adjustable-competition-style-kettlebell/

@gregory_r_g The consensus is that you cannot go wrong with Kettlebell Kings. It is the gold standard. Adjustable or not is up to you. It makes sense if you have little room to store your bells and it is cheaper than a full set from 16 to 32. On the downside, it takes a bit of time to adjust the weight. I started KBs before adjustables were a thing, so I never tried these.

I only use competition style bells and I happen not to like Kettlebell Kings for a very personal reason. Their bells are hollow. I train at night when the kids are asleep and hollow bells sound like ...hum... bells. Like cow bells or church bells is what I mean. If it were not for that, I would certainly use them too.

I only own StrengthShop (very high quality stuff) and GorillaSport bells (not too bad, their handle may need some work) and I am plenty happy with these. These two brands are available throughout Europe.

There's also an adjustable that I have extensively used and that is eerily good. Sold both by GorillaSports and Klarfit (cheaper under that name). 16 to 24 in 2 kg increments. Here's a link: https://www.electronic-star.ch/Spor...n4FFOF0Z0rv4-Z6LaHMlvYcULK1stWSxoCh5EQAvD_BwE

@gregory_r_g I'd recommend getting a 16kg, 20kg, and 24kg.

The 16 to 24 is a 50% jump in weight; I did that and regret doing so. I later on got a 20 and wish I had done that to begin with and you probably will too given your body weight.. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Pavel Tsatsouline but he is a pretty popular kettlebell guy on here; he recommends increasing in increments of 20-33%

@wheels56
Pavel Tsatsouline

Hah I was watching him on Joe Rogan today, the guy is very amusing with how he talks but a lot of what he said about training (barring nutrition, lol) sounds like good common sense. I will subscribe to him on Youtube.

Regarding the weights, I am surprised how heavy 16KG is, especially one-handed. Of course it is just because I am unfamiliar with this kind of training, but I agree that 20KG and 24KG seem like logical steps and that going from 16KG to 24KG would be too much.

When I build up a little I may also get another 16KG for some dual KB action, however baby steps and let me deal with developing good form first. :D

@gregory_r_g
  1. I think 16 kg and 24 kg are fine. Just focus more on the 16 kg at first to build technique and to give your tendons time to adjust to the kettlebell and volume. A 24 kg kettlebell is quite heavy so you will likely work more with the 16 kg at first anyways, and with time you can add some training with the 24 kg. The 24 kg is a 50% increase and therefore significant and I think especially snathces will be the most challenging to transition into from 16 kg to 24 kg., but it is doable. I really like 20 kg and 28 kg as a bridge between 16-24-32. If you have small weightplates (2-4 kg from the weighted pull ups) you can maybe get creative to temporarily transform the 16 kg into 18 or 20 kg.
  2. I have no idea about the TRX brand, but it looks like a regular cast iron bell with some kind of coating. Unless the handle has some rough edges these bells seem to be fine for cast iron. The Decathlon bell looks really weird, but I have never tried handles with this shape. I have had the opportunity to purchase this design without trying and I decided not to because of the handle design.

@arishin Thanks man I appreciate the feedback. The TRX do indeed look like decent standard bells. The price is high where I live in general for these things but it's fine for something I will keep for a long while.

Do you recommend the adjustable KB's that another redditor recommended? They look like they save space but needing to get out a wrench to change weights looks like it could be a ball ache https://www.kettlebellkings.com/12-32kg-adjustable-competition-style-kettlebell/

@gregory_r_g Generally you don't expect any decent kettlebell to break and there won't be much wear and tear either, so you should ideally get the right kettlebell for you the first time.

With cast iron bells the bell and handle will often be painted or coated (powder coating or something else). If you use 1 kettlebell at a time I don't think you should worry (my oldest painted cast iron is around 10 years old and still has unbroken/unchipped original handle painting (not powder coating). If you use 2 cast iron kettlebells at a time then you will likely have them bump into each other, either while swinging/cleaning both kettlebells or when you hold/catch them in the rack position. I think over time the repeated bumps will cause "damage to the paint of the handle (Maybe someone else knows better for powder coating?) and make the handles less smooth. You can fix this by either sanding away any painted problem area or you can work on repainting the handle as you wish. The iron of the kettlebell itself will be fine, but I suspect the finish of cast iron paint/coating will wear down and start chipping with time and repeated bumps.

I have no experience with neither KettlebellKings or adjustable kettlebells, but most of my kettlebells are standard competition kettlebells and therefore are more or less the same as the kettlebellkings one without being adjustable. I SO MUCH MORE prefer the design of competition kettlebells because to me they are more comfortable to hold and the size feels "right" for both singles and doubles. The size remains the same with all weights which is good for mastering technique and balance, whereas with cast iron the size changes and you have to make readjust every time, though it isn't difficult to adjust. The width of the hanle on competition kettlebells is smaller than most cast iron bells which makes gripping the bells easier. Also usually the handles of competition kettlebells are steel and therefore won't have any chipped paint or other wear over time, though the bell itself will usually be painted and can chip there, but this is to be expected when you start doing doubles.

I bought my kettlebells before I heard of adjustable ones. I really like the idea of it in terms of both space saving and money saving. If it is durable just like regular competition kettlebells then I would be tempted to buy 1 or 2 because of the good variety in weight they offer. The major downside is that you have to open the bell and remove plates every time you wish to change weight. I think I would get used to it, but since I train GS / kettlbell sport I tend to do warm ups by doing the same movement with lighter bells and build up to my training weight and afterwards I sometimes do extra sets with lighter bells again for extra training volume. This would make me change the weight 3-5 times easily (or 6-10 times since I use double) for most of my training sessions. But I would have the opportunity to train with 21,22,23 kg and 25,26,27 kg instead of only having the option for 20, 24 and 28 kg (I lack bells in smaller weight increments)... Overall I think adjustable looks very attractive, especially if these will be your first kettlebells. The only major downside being the time it takes to change the weight (hopefully not too long?) and possibly worries if the durability is lowered because of the more complex construction?

@arishin Hey man thanks for such a thoughtful and detailed reply, that is more than I expected. I am doing research into the adjustable ones but it seems they all have some compromises in some way vs regular KB's due to the inherent problems with using separate parts held together by something that forms a potential point of failure.

With regards to the competition style handles, are there any exercises that they are not good for vs the taller handles? :)

@gregory_r_g I find the drawbacks of competition style handles to be limited, but there are a few I can think of. However for 1 handed exercises, which everyone should be doing once they have learned the exercise (except maybe very heavy 2 handed swings), the competition style handle is excellent because that is what it was designed for. The drawbacks I can think of are below and I think only the first drawback is something to consider:
  1. (arguably) competition kettlebell handles are or feel more slippery compared to painted or powder coated cast iron. This can be fixed by using either powder or liquid chalk to improve your grip (even just a little helps a ton) or improving grip overall grip strength/endurance. I use chalk and my competition kettlebells are not slippery at all with chalk. Some competition handles have better texture for grip and some are more smooth and slippery without chalk.
  2. Smaller handle diameter. This is a big plus for me because it makes it easier to do more reps on exercises that tire out your forearm/grip. This could be a downside for those who wish a bigger handle to train the forearm/grip, but I think you can find other ways to train your forearms to make this a plus rather than a drawback.
  3. Competition bell handles are not as wide as regular cast iron because they are designed for 1 hand use. Some people (or many people) struggle with comfortably holding competition kettlebells with both hands because the hands don't fully fit inside the handle. I am an average man with average height, less fat than the average american, but with about 4-6 kg of extra fat on me and I kind of agree on this drawback, but I only need to keep my little fingers slightly on the outside of the handle to make everything fit and I can comfortably do 50+ reps problem free. Since I do 99% of my swings etc 1 handed this doesn't bother me anyways.

Hey guys I just got my 16KG TRX Kettlebell today, which is powder coated. First impressions are that the quality is very good, with good workmanship and no especially rough parts. It also feels much heavier than I thought it would and I can barely lift it from my hip above my head with one arm! I think I will be spending the next coupe of months getting used to it and I am both excited and nervous about the pain I am going to feel as muscles that I never knew existed are worked hard. :D

@gregory_r_g It seems I'm the only moron, who started straight with 2x32kg and slowly build equipment towards doable bells :) They tend to be heavier then they look, but still a year with only 16kg, sounds a bit boring. Not much of experience tho, just few months so i might be wrong :)

@doctoroliver83 Thanks man I appreciate the feedback. They look like they do save space but needing to get out a wrench to change weights looks like it could be a ball ache if I need to change more than once?

Also the competiton handle looks like the Decathlon one which some people were saying is not good for all types of KB exercises (snatches etc).

@gregory_r_g Competition handles are great for snatches. Changing weights mid workout is annoying - I own the adjustables and usually if using them will focus on a single weight for a workout.

I'm also 5'8" 145 and yea starting with a 16 and 24 is fine. 2x16 isn't bad advice either but it depends on your goals. For me 2x20 is good for longer sets and 2x24 is good for shorter/medium sets (depending on if swings, squats, cleans or presses) and 2x28-32 is good for heavy ass days where I want just a few reps per set.

@silbo Thanks, good to hear from someone who is my size as that is directly relevant to me. I have just ordered 1x 16KG to start with , as it will take me some time to learn the correct form and also build all of the extra muscles that KB exercises will use. After that I will re-assess my needs and progress to more weight as needed. :)

@gregory_r_g If you're going singles you'll want the 24 in likely a few weeks to be honest then. The 16 is instructive as a learning weight but if you're in decent shape it's a warm up tool or maybe a long session cardio implement after not too long. Throw in another 16 and you can do Geoff Neupert's doubles complexes which will buy you more time most likely.

@silbo Oh man this is so confusing. :D

Other guys in this thread said 24KG is a lot and that I should wait. I guess I will see how 1x 16KG is and then take it from there. :)